Maintaining Coil

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Yes, screwing the back foot in (or angling it in or digging it in, whatever cue works) is a great way to feel/enhance the coil as well as set up the rear hip as the lower-half pivot point of the swing. Nice.

Sep 17, 2009
Small toe going towards catcher, heel going towards pitcher.
I would just clarify, because it can be confusing. FIRST, you angle the rear foot/toes TOWARD the pitcher. THEN you perform the screw in move So Cal Seth describes above. Ideally, I think you retain some of the pigeon-toed look of the back foot angling inward even after screwing in.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
I would just clarify, because it can be confusing. FIRST, you angle the rear foot/toes TOWARD the pitcher. THEN you perform the screw in move So Cal Seth describes above. Ideally, I think you retain some of the pigeon-toed look of the back foot angling inward even after screwing in.

Yep - thanks for clarifying, Rich.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY

Yes! When DD started to incorporate this setup and "move" into her swing mechanics, very good things started to happen.

We Do need to re-visit the emphasis to perform that "screw" move often, though.
DD sometimes still reverts to too much of a front foot stride, even with that "pigeon-toed" setup.

May 12, 2016
Yes! When DD started to incorporate this setup and "move" into her swing mechanics, very good things started to happen.

We Do need to re-visit the emphasis to perform that "screw" move often, though.
DD sometimes still reverts to too much of a front foot stride, even with that "pigeon-toed" setup.

That's why I like performing the screwing action as striding forward.. "Forward by coil" somebody said earlier in the thread. I use to always emphasize to my DD, progress forward while maintaining the coil front hip.. but she doesn't have to think about that when screwing the rear foot in the ground during the positive move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13