Maintaining Coil

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
DD had some issues maintaining coil during positive move. She would release prematurely. I was watching an instructor on Instagram and he was instructing his students to "screw the back foot/leg into the ground" during the positive move. I asked my DD to do the same thing and it resulted in many positive things, maintaining coil, resulting hip movement (some refer to it as hip bump) looked great.

The combination of this movement and loading scap during positive move resulted in a very nice sequence for my DD.

Just thought I'd post because this might help others as well

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
DD had some issues maintaining coil during positive move. She would release prematurely. I was watching an instructor on Instagram and he was instructing his students to "screw the back foot/leg into the ground" during the positive move. I asked my DD to do the same thing and it resulted in many positive things, maintaining coil, resulting hip movement (some refer to it as hip bump) looked great.

The combination of this movement and loading scap during positive move resulted in a very nice sequence for my DD.

Just thought I'd post because this might help others as well

Awesome. Now perfect it!

May 12, 2016
Just to clarify, previously she would screw her back foot/leg into the ground while loading into the back leg (Negative move). This ended up in her releasing too early during the stride forward. By screwing the back foot/leg into the ground during the positive move resulted in not releasing the coil or backside too early before toe touch/heel plant. Also keeps her back a little more, prevents her from lunging/bleeding forward etc.

Now we need to work on tempo.. she seems to rush it during the live swing

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Forward by coil:
Hamilton-Josh-Side-Rear-Side-Outline.gif

May 12, 2016
Forward by coil:
Hamilton-Josh-Side-Rear-Side-Outline.gif
That;s what I am seeing in my DD's swing right now, obviously not to this extent/range. But she's still working on it. Coiling during the negative move and maintaining the coil during the stride forward was not working for her. Incredible how some things just click when presented differently.

How should the backside release at heel plant? Drive the back knee towards the front foot?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
And today is different day altogether.. lol. Same approach different result. She start to coil going forward and then released immediately.. go figure LOLOL. "Life is like a box chocolates, ya never know whatcha gonna get"... applies to my DD perfectly. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying