LL player hit in face with ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
Been watching the LL boys. A few have gotten hit by balls. One SS got hit yesterday by a hop and is back out there today with a broken nose. No mask, no mention of masks. Just a mention that the kid is tough, went to the hospital and is now back out there ( I think at third). A metal mask was added to his batting helmet however.

Photos: Little League World Series August 19, 2011 | Denver Post Media Center

I was not watching the girls LL that closely, although the announcers seems shocked by all the masks when I watched (my comment: in the Outfield? Really?)

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
The safety bag disappears too, have seen a lot of collisions at 1st base.
a few weeks ago I was at DD's U18 game where they weren't using the safety bag (usually they do). girl ran to 1B and was looking to see where the ball was being played rather than where she was stepping, her foot caught the side of the bag and she broke her ankle.

that base was more like a seat cushion than a base, but still...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You would think by 18u they would know to not watch the play. Not looking where you are going can cause a problem with a safety base just as easily.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Did you see the video of the LL pitcher who was hit directly on the bill of his cap. The it was scary looking but after fixing his hat the kid kept pitching. Here is the video. Little League World Series pitcher hit in the face.mp4 - YouTube

The new fashion of wearing the caps with the straight bill might have saved this kid's face! I guess I'm old but I always shape my hat bills in to a curve as soon as I get one.

Back on topic the boys should wear masks too but unfortunately it will probably take a few kids getting badly hurt on national TV before it happens.

Sep 3, 2009
Did you see the video of the LL pitcher who was hit directly on the bill of his cap. The it was scary looking but after fixing his hat the kid kept pitching. Here is the video. Little League World Series pitcher hit in the face.mp4 - YouTube

Wow. That kid is so lucky. I never thought that the brim of a hat could be act as a safety devise. Make sure you watch until the close-up slow mo near the end of the clip and you can see the brim actually become indented from the ball. Crazy.

Jul 26, 2010
Looks like he didn't get the out. I don't want to come off as one of "those guys", but even most girls will make the play first, and cry later.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC