LL Player can't afford to register

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
my intention is not to hi-jack your thread, but...what about travel teams where team fess are hundreds of dollars? we work towards a zero balance at the end of the summer - so no room to carry the extra financial burden (for lack of a better word) of scholarship players (unkess we plann for it, which we didn't). i just found out this week two of my players cannot afford to pay the dues, really thru no fault of their own. they told me this at our uniform fitting. we're talking well over $1000 for the two. my issue is that one of them isn't too worried about helping themselves thru the AMPLE fundraisers we have going/will have going.

i am covering their uniform packages out of my own pocket at a pretty hefty cost, mostly for selfish reasons (don't really want to search for a pitcher and middle infielder this time of year), but i cant cover their tournament costs too if they slack on the fundraising (fundraising is primarilty to cover travel and tournament expenses). im thinking about asking the other parents to kick in, but that wont go over well for a variety of reasons.

im afraid my next conversation with the one family is going to be "sorry, but i gotta cut you" and hope i can get a player that can wear her uniform. have any of you been in this situation? how did you handle?

i admire the leagues and associations for offering scholarships to families who dont have the resources to pay, but unfortunately we dont have that kind of relationship with an association...

Jul 26, 2010
Our league has had scholarship's available for more then ten years (for rec ball). The way we work it is like this:

Parents fill out a scholarship request form at registration. They indicate if they need a full or partial scholarship. If they have any documentation indicating a disability or participating in the school free/reduced lunch program, they turn it in with the form. They also indicate if they have participated in the scholarship program before.

In lieu of registration fees, volunteer hours are assigned (I think it's 20 hours for a full scholarship, 10 for a half scholarship, but don't quote me on that). Volunteer hours can be done working the snack shack, helping with field maintenance, pancake bfast, ect.

At the next board meeting we approve/disapprove all scholarships. The only sure way to be denied is if a scholarship was granted in a prior year but volunteer obligations were not completed (at the end of the season the league sends a bill to anyone who did not complete their obligations, which generally don't get paid).

This year we approved about 4 scholarships (out of ~500 players)

-W

FYI, for travel ball teams, scholarships and handouts are not feasible. The reason is that TB has many hidden, or not so hidden fees. Sure, you could help with registration fees, but what about travel and lodging, do you help with that to? Do you feed the kid on tournament days? In a capitalist society, travel ball is a privilege for those who can afford it, not a right.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
FYI, for travel ball teams, scholarships and handouts are not feasible. The reason is that TB has many hidden, or not so hidden fees. Sure, you could help with registration fees, but what about travel and lodging, do you help with that to? Do you feed the kid on tournament days? In a capitalist society, travel ball is a privilege for those who can afford it, not a right.

Beg to differ Starsnuffer. We had a young lady that wanted to play ball with our org a few years ago but her family couldn't/wouldn't pay the fees. Our coaches put together a butterbraid order for her and she sold her butt off all fall to sell out her product so she could pay her fees. She got rides to practice and tournaments from other families. She bunked in with others who had space at the hotels.

Last I heard she was doing well in college...that her parents weren't shelling out dime on. It really depends on the people you are playing ball with, absolutes don't exist.

Jun 27, 2010
where do you guys play?

Thanks everyone! We have e-mailed the league president and the head of the Softball division and it is expected (by those who know more than I ) that they will be able to do something to let her play. If by some chance they don't, we (3) coaches will cover it. ($115.)
That is very high price to play little league.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30