LL Player can't afford to register

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
one of the kids on my team. not the best player but certainly not the worst either - right in the middle.

Mom e-mailed me asking if there were any kind of scholarships or financial aid available as they can't afford to register her this season. she is 12 and this would be her last year before seniors - if she intends to play at that level. she's been on our team for a few years and is a nice kid. I think this may be the only sport she plays.

I'm going to e-mail the other two coaches and ask what they think.

what do you think about this?
I'm thinking if she intends to keep playing and this is just an off year, then maybe we could cover her.

when I was trying to get winter clinics going, she was the only one who expressed interest.

Jun 24, 2009
As a coach and decent human being if you can afford it or can find the money why not? If the parents can't afford it you are probably her only other hope. I'm talking about if they really have need.Doesn't really matter if she is #1or#13.

Jul 28, 2008
Little League turns down no kids. All leagues have scholarships available to those who are unable to pay. Check with the BOD and let them know.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Little League turns down no kids. All leagues have scholarships available to those who are unable to play. Check with the BOD and let them know.

Absolutely! Check with your LL Board. A number of LLs in our area have a statement right on their websites that no child will be turned away because of financial hardship. I run the softball program for our LL and we have the same policy. What I love about LL is that part of the mission of the organization is to make the sport accessible to everyone that wants to play.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I coached LL, the kids sold candy bars. You could do that by yourself and earn a little bit.

I am willing to help, if she needs to raise a little money.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks everyone! We have e-mailed the league president and the head of the Softball division and it is expected (by those who know more than I ) that they will be able to do something to let her play. If by some chance they don't, we (3) coaches will cover it. ($115.)

Jun 3, 2009
Glad to hear your situation is resolved. For others in a similar situation who might run across this thread, on page 28 of the 2010 Little League Operating Manual it states:

"A basic premise should be understood by every person associated with Little League: No child should ever be turned away or limited in participation because of a parent/guardian's inability to pay a fee."

I don't have the 2011 version handy, but I'm sure the same phrase is still in there...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30