Live Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I prefer overhand, because I can go for a longer amount of time, more accurately w/o a catcher. I started it a long time ago at a facility in Springfield,IL. because I only had an L screen for baseball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Amy let me ask this.

I use to throw overhand with DD (10-13) for some hitting practice 40'. Seemed to work pretty decent. ( I'd take a little off of it )

(14-15) I pitched again from 43' and turned it loose on her. She did "ok-good" in practice off me, but then in games she seemed to have some issues, so I quit and haven't done it since.

I'd guess with y'alls big ole ball I was throwing ranging 70-75 mph. ( remember I'm an old worn out BB pitcher ) How fast are you throwing just out of curiosity? For my knowledge and others.

The training went from productive to not on the above ages. Was it the overhand, my BB wind up ( minus the float ), timing, vision, ball path? P.S. it was not the "heat" I was putting on poor DD. I'm sure Greenmosnters will have something witty to say. :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I prefer overhand, because I can go for a longer amount of time, more accurately w/o a catcher. I started it a long time ago at a facility in Springfield,IL. because I only had an L screen for baseball.

Gotcha. My daughter went to a hitting coach for 6 months who threw overhand. I don't think it was an issue. But I've got more control underhand. So that's the way I do it. If given a choice, I'd say seeing the ball coming from 6 o'clock instead of 10 or 11 o'clock is more beneficial, but if true, I don't think it's significant enough to worry about. See it, hit it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know how hard I can throw, but I am willing to bet that it isn't nearly as hard as you. Maybe you were too far away. I am betting that I am 30-35 feet. Most of my students are 8-14. So, you could be on to something about the older ages. Did your daughter know what was causing the problem? What were you throwing? I am using tennis balls, just because I have 200 of them.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
I do soft toss from 10 or so feet in front. At first she will feel cramped, but she will quickly become comfortable. I sit on a tall bucket and throw the ball underhanded quickly to replicate the reaction time of a pitch. When you are close you can hit your spots and move the ball around easily. Of course I use a screen.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Amy let me ask this.

I use to throw overhand with DD (10-13) for some hitting practice 40'. Seemed to work pretty decent. ( I'd take a little off of it )

(14-15) I pitched again from 43' and turned it loose on her. She did "ok-good" in practice off me, but then in games she seemed to have some issues, so I quit and haven't done it since.

I'd guess with y'alls big ole ball I was throwing ranging 70-75 mph. ( remember I'm an old worn out BB pitcher ) How fast are you throwing just out of curiosity? For my knowledge and others.

The training went from productive to not on the above ages. Was it the overhand, my BB wind up ( minus the float ), timing, vision, ball path? P.S. it was not the "heat" I was putting on poor DD. I'm sure Greenmosnters will have something witty to say. :)

The general issue with pitching machines (except for the high-end $$$ integrated video machines) is that its difficult to get the timing down. Versus live pitching, either windmill or overhand, the hitter can synchronize the start of their swing to a repeatable pitching motion. As far as speed, I like to see mechanics-focussed BP taken at a comfortable speed for the batter, whether its against a machine or live pitcher. That comfortable speed will increase gradually over time and more experience and eventually approach game speed. As prep for an unusually fast pitcher, kids making a jump to a higher level with faster pitching, or simply as a confidence builder, hitting versus challenging pitch speeds is effective and can make game speed seem slower/easier to hit. Look at MLBers when they take pre-game BP, the pitcher isn't throwing anywhere near game speed and the hitters are just getting their swing grooved and timing down.

I'd take as much live BP as possible. Windmill from regulation distance is first choice, 2nd choice is windmill from shortened distance, overhand from any distance is third choice, machine pitch is last choice. A tee or self toss is preferred over any sort of pitching or tossing that has an arc to it. FWIW, my DD's org's training facility has 2 iron mike SB pitching machines with mecthanical arms (levers) that release the ball with an overhand-like motion and I've seen no issues adjusting to live FP pitching.

Based on the information provided, I'm not sure there's a good reason for GoingDeep's experience with his DD. If I was forced to guess, I'd say that it most likely was due to him knocking her down or hitting her every 10th pitch and yelling "Who's the Man" (more accurately should've been "Who's the Old Man).

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I don't know how hard I can throw, but I am willing to bet that it isn't nearly as hard as you. Maybe you were too far away. I am betting that I am 30-35 feet. Most of my students are 8-14. So, you could be on to something about the older ages. Did your daughter know what was causing the problem? What were you throwing? I am using tennis balls, just because I have 200 of them.

I was throwing a reg softball. ( come on Amy, she'd never hit me throwing a BB from 43' :rolleyes: haha ) We would do soft and hard toss, but I think I just cranked it up too much pitching all I had from the distance she was working at in age. Never knew the problem, but soon after I stopped she went back to normal "stats" in games.

I'll add this, I've seen some do not so good with the old arm style pitching machines ( girls ) cranked up high. I think most of it is mental, and ball paths they are not use to at the higher speeds.

Long story short I'd be mindful of seeing any negative reaction to upper level speeds from overhand. I think somewhere after 50-55 from 40-43' the usefulness starts to do more harm than good. ( my 2 cents )

One thing I'd like to try to do is get my nephew who throws submarine style to throw to DD before he goes off to college. Just to see how the two mesh together. That could be interesting and informative.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Based on the information provided, I'm not sure there's a good reason for GoingDeep's experience with his DD. If I was forced to guess, I'd say that it most likely was due to him knocking her down or hitting her every 10th pitch and yelling "Who's the Man" (more accurately should've been "Who's the Old Man).

You must have been watching, glad you didn't call child services. I "moved" her off my plate a couple of times just to remind her "that's my house on the rubber"...........and she throws like a girl. :)

Man I hate to say this on the forum. But I did take a few swings over the summer with DD and another 17yo pitcher, made me look mighty sad with some weak hits. I feel like they cheated by throwing me mostly upper moving pitches and change ups, and I'm pretty sure they put something in my tea. No way I couldn't go yard on their crap. ;)

Who knows, maybe I was just too intimidating on the rubber pointing at DD in the box saying " you're the ant, I'm the boot ". Just sayin'.....................

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA