Let’s Talk Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here is a hitter I work with working on foot up and coil, balance, control, ready at release. I am about 20 feet away. I hold the ball up, then I go down a notch. That’s the trigger for foot up and coil. She has to find her balance point. Of foot lands early she’s lost control. Not sure how hard machine is throwing but this drill forces the hitter to be ready to swing sooner rather than later. Slow the ball down. Developing the ability to wait, not rush. This is also how I do front toss. Hitter has to foot up and coil before I move to flip.

Smooth and controlled. (y)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here is a hitter I work with working on foot up and coil, balance, control, ready at release. I am about 20 feet away. I hold the ball up, then I go down a notch. That’s the trigger for foot up and coil. She has to find her balance point. Of foot lands early she’s lost control. Not sure how hard machine is throwing but this drill forces the hitter to be ready to swing sooner rather than later. Slow the ball down. Developing the ability to wait, not rush. This is also how I do front toss. Hitter has to foot up and coil before I move to flip.

IMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5083.jpeg

The rear leg is a spring.

• Haha
Reactions: TDS
Aug 20, 2017
This is just my experience, what I feel, and what I teach. I’m not saying any of this is correct or will produce results. Only my experience.

Rear foot turned inward, front foot up and coil. I feel the spring in my rear leg. I don’t talk about hip anything. The upper coil is unique to every hitter. It’s not counter rotating the shoulders. It’s fusing the upper against the resistance of the lower. This is how I get them to feel the coil: toes toward 1B (for a righty), slightly open stance, both feet on the ground. Bat in neck slot, knob neutral (forward), hands tight to rear shoulder (maintain 90 degree with lead arm), slight posture (chest over plate). Rotate entire upper (as one unit) knob towards catchers feet from a no stride. At this point, the rear leg should be fully loaded (stretched). If the hitter picks up their front foot, they should feel like springing forward. Once we get that feel, we pick the front foot up and continue to load the upper against the rear leg. The rear leg is loaded against the upper. It’s not moving until go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA