Let’s Talk Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019

I can see the ball, hopefully everyone can see it.

He is ready at release, loaded, hanging/hovering/defying gravity. Stretching the last little bit as the ball is in flight.

Is when the foot lands important? It gets placed down when it’s time. It starts to get down around half way.

That’s some serious down n back. Ferris wheel.

What about guys who don’t pick their foot up at all? Or guys who do it very little like David Wright

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
There is still a weight shift/load for timing. Firm toe, to little or no pressure almost lifting, to heel press or slam you won't see.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Talking about timing so do you think a pitcher that replants or leaps messes the timing of hitters up. I personally it's huge advantage as far trying to time them up if not called.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Front foot needs to be on its way down at release. Slows the ball down. This check point is critical. What RH said about being rushed is correct. Ask your DDs if they feel rushed on good pitching. If they do, go learn to get the front foot up sooner.
Some kids can relate to have the front foot moving forward at time of release working on it in the on deck circle.

Aug 20, 2017
Here is a hitter I work with working on foot up and coil, balance, control, ready at release. I am about 20 feet away. I hold the ball up, then I go down a notch. That’s the trigger for foot up and coil. She has to find her balance point. Of foot lands early she’s lost control. Not sure how hard machine is throwing but this drill forces the hitter to be ready to swing sooner rather than later. Slow the ball down. Developing the ability to wait, not rush. This is also how I do front toss. Hitter has to foot up and coil before I move to flip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee