Let’s Talk Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Shawn all I can say is that the intent of front side usage coupled w early frontside leverage enables a consistent balanced timing mechanism. You can put the foot down early and turn on one or glide/drift/hover to buy time to wait. You can also put the foot down at a 50/50 and hit a change up.

When you pick up the front foot you only have so much ‘time’ for balancing the load. You can start later and back the fastball up or you can start a bit earlier and hit out front(Usually in preferred counts). Sitting in the back hip or loading the hip by coiling causes early hip extension or getting stuck back. Also takes away from the walking model and it’s ‘leap of faith’ mechanic.

Due to the way pitchers can wind up in both sports, baseball has a ton more back leg/hip loading issues. Pitchers can change the time of when the ball is released. Softball cannot. It’s why there aren’t outrageous leg kicks etc in fastpitch. Usually just a small stride.

For me I teach the first move to be at ‘12 o clock’ in fastpitch. If the pitcher is slow. Wait until release. Those are just starting points. The player needs to find exactly where to time within those bench marks for each pitcher they face. And the count they’re in. But without early leverage you can’t hit the fast stuff consistently from either side of the timing spectrum, so the swing becomes messy and inconsistent. For me it’s about when and how you start.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
My point is that young players need to get used to getting the front foot up on time. It takes time to get them comfortable with it. Many dads that don’t understand the softball swing try to widen players out and limit the use of the front foot in an effort to be “quicker to the ball”. They take the timing mechanism out which is the getting the front foot up. It may work in 10U and 12U but against higher level pitching it does not. Players with more ability than others will never perform in high level softball due to this. My point is the front foot or knee lift needs to built and engrained at an early age. Not front foot up and blast forward. Not front foot up and sway rearwards. Knee lift against a firm backside. There will be some rearward movement as the body prepares to pick the front foot up. Hitters need to anticipate picking the front foot up. This is key when teaching the mechanic on front toss. They need to anticipate picking it up on live pitching g as well.

Aug 20, 2017
10771D9C-1A8E-4D3A-959C-66AA4D3918C3.gif
Here is one of my players. We have focused hard on getting the front foot up early. It’s different for every hitter. I’ll post one of my hitters that has struggled with getting the front foot up. This ball landed in a parking lot

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My point is that young players need to get used to getting the front foot up on time. It takes time to get them comfortable with it. Many dads that don’t understand the softball swing try to widen players out and limit the use of the front foot in an effort to be “quicker to the ball”. They take the timing mechanism out which is the getting the front foot up. It may work in 10U and 12U but against higher level pitching it does not. Players with more ability than others will never perform in high level softball due to this. My point is the front foot or knee lift needs to built and engrained at an early age. Not front foot up and blast forward. Not front foot up and sway rearwards. Knee lift against a firm backside. There will be some rearward movement as the body prepares to pick the front foot up. Hitters need to anticipate picking the front foot up. This is key when teaching the mechanic on front toss. They need to anticipate picking it up on live pitching g as well.

Yes. Bc of the emphasis on the back hip here and throughout the hitting world things have spiraled out of control to mask its poor balance and loss of adjustability. Compensations everywhere. Like separation, it’s a reaction. If you practice peeling the front heel, things seem to sync up much better.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I do a modified halfway-home drill w the front foot weighted. the hitter can’t move until the ball is released. This creates front side leverage earlier. Back hip coil is the result. I throw hard enough so they can’t cheat. A tight window. Afterward they hit fast toss and find their timing within the constraint we used.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The rule to follow is the front foot must be down when the ball is halfway to the plate.

From this great website :) "The ball takes roughly 0.400 seconds to reach the plate, and the swing takes roughly 0.200 seconds to complete."

You can pick up the front foot/knee anytime before this, it's up to the person.

The best way to start to fix this is to randomly hold the ball in the cage. Yell at them if they aren't moving on every throw. :) Plus, follow up with game/practice video to make sure the foot is down in time.

Also, another tip: The only way to stop from going too far backward, is to make sure the rear hip is in front (toward the pitcher) of the rear heel in the stance. Simple leverage. This way, when you pick up the front foot you can't reasonably go backwards, you start falling forward.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I can see the ball, hopefully everyone can see it.

He is ready at release, loaded, hanging/hovering/defying gravity. Stretching the last little bit as the ball is in flight.

Is when the foot lands important? It gets placed down when it’s time. It starts to get down around half way.

That’s some serious down n back. Ferris wheel.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
The rule to follow is the front foot must be down when the ball is halfway to the plate.

From this great website :) "The ball takes roughly 0.400 seconds to reach the plate, and the swing takes roughly 0.200 seconds to complete."

You can pick up the front foot/knee anytime before this, it's up to the person.

The best way to start to fix this is to randomly hold the ball in the cage. Yell at them if they aren't moving on every throw. :) Plus, follow up with game/practice video to make sure the foot is down in time.

Also, another tip: The only way to stop from going too far backward, is to make sure the rear hip is in front (toward the pitcher) of the rear heel in the stance. Simple leverage. This way, when you pick up the front foot you can't reasonably go backwards, you start falling forward.
You have to train the hitter to be comfortable getting the foot up early. It’s a weird feeling to most hitters. Ready at release as Shawn says. Each hitter is different. Some will shift a little more weight rearward than others. This means they have to pick front foot up even sooner. Lots of factors dictate when to pick it up. If they pick it up late the swing will be rushed and ugly. If it gets up on time it will get down on time

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Agreed, IF you can't get the foot up and down you are dead in the water...we can get it up, toe down and hold to heel slam if needed being early, but you ain't doing nothing if yer lifting that front foot late, yer DEAD in the water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812