Let’s Talk Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Lol..you are a trip. Go research why galaxy formations (for example ) form as
(logarithmic) spirals and come back and tell me wtf that has to do with coiling around the back leg.
Most of my lessons are with 7-12 year olds. I have a hard enough time getting their feet pointed in the same direction. I can’t imagine trying to teach them to hit like some of the discussion on this board goes.

Jun 8, 2016
I can’t imagine trying to teach them to hit like some of the discussion on this board goes.
Especially when the discussion is trying to relate celestial mechanics to biomechanics..🙄

If there is a good reason why many good hitters coil it has nothing to do with the interplay of gravity and how galaxies rotate…

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
Most of my lessons are with 7-12 year olds. I have a hard enough time getting their feet pointed in the same direction. I can’t imagine trying to teach them to hit like some of the discussion on this board goes.
If they stop swinging the second the ball leaves the pitcher's hand it's a victory.

Oct 26, 2019
If they stop swinging the second the ball leaves the pitcher's hand it's a victory.
True. Though I will say a lot of the girls I work with don’t swing the bat enough because they have lived through the walk fest that is first year kid pitch and been rewarded by not swinging.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here is a hitter I work with working on foot up and coil, balance, control, ready at release. I am about 20 feet away. I hold the ball up, then I go down a notch. That’s the trigger for foot up and coil. She has to find her balance point. Of foot lands early she’s lost control. Not sure how hard machine is throwing but this drill forces the hitter to be ready to swing sooner rather than later. Slow the ball down. Developing the ability to wait, not rush. This is also how I do front toss. Hitter has to foot up and coil before I move to flip.

Great job Cornbread. Maybe Kylie will someday be on one of the instruction videos on YouTube. 👏

Enjoy how this gent explains what he sees.

Jun 18, 2023
True. Though I will say a lot of the girls I work with don’t swing the bat enough because they have lived through the walk fest that is first year kid pitch and been rewarded by not swinging.
yeah, that's where I am now. It's a fine line. We did get no-hit the other day and lost 13-9. Though it was tough to swing at all, they were throwing decently hard just..rarely close enough to even offer at.

I blather enough stuff at them as it is, I can just imagine the sass if I started talking coiling too.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
The more we get to work together with a player the more we begin to understand how their brain is working. As always, we need to identify what is the hitter’s natural hitting tempo. The hitting tempo affects the hitter’s perception. This has to be correct!

Along with hitting tempo, selecting 1 of 13 different hitting models can be very sensitive! And after deciding upon the hitting model, we need to determine which 1 of the 9 different models of swing deceleration fits the hitter. The swing deceleration pattern ultimately affects the hitter’s swing path!

Perception Research: Why Aren't You Doing This?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I do enjoy the fact that all pitchers practice to become better from the start.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA