Launch Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Worked unsuccessfully with my older daughter on some HI drills yesterday. She couldn't get the drills right, took video and scrapped it as a failed attempt, better luck tomorrow type thing. Kept talking about the importance of getting behind the corner, weight back, coiling etc. While she couldn't get the drills just right, she was able to get the feel for a little more coil and it changed the timing of her swing to where her arms were not starting the swing so much but her rear hip was starting the drive while she was still coiling back. Enough for me to notice with my naked eye and like what I saw on at least some of the swings.
She went to practice right after and I told her to just attack oppo during her tee work to try to ingrain the feel of early power and keeping the weight back, then she went to front toss and hit one that landed 4 feet in front of the 200 foot fence. Longest shot of her life. Related? dunno. But she has hit about a thousand balls on this field and this one was 20 feet further than her previous best hit ball.

So if you have drills that you think can help a kid, by all means post them so the defenders have something to try but barring that I will keep on going down the rabbit hole as long as I see incremental results in power and better contact.

All the technical mumbo jumbo is interesting (at times), very valuable, and vital. But performing drills will teach the player more than anything.

You mentioned attacking oppo. Many ways to perform that but I recommend front toss of 3 buckets (approx. 75 balls) of nothing but outside pitches with ALL hits to right field. 2-3 times a week is great. It works—period.

Doing the same thing with a tee is good also but nowhere near as effective.

The result you saw with the near 200' shot is typical after doing the drill.

Jul 11, 2011
Howe...

This is what Steven looked like when Pronk was following HI instruction. Notice the bound up rear elbow.

StevenFrames.gif

What do you think we went to work on? How do you think you unbind the rear elbow from stalling against the ribcage? ;) It's called using the hands correctly...

RodriguezAlex-629.gif

I love it!

Remember one thing Tubby; pool sharks only take money from those who want to willingly give it away. You are finding less and less suckers here.

Not to derail the thread but can you share what you did to unbind the rear elbow with your son? I just posted a video on here yesterday and my DD swing looks very similar to your sons in this video. FFS brought it up as well. Any insight on this? Thanks

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Worked unsuccessfully with my older daughter on some HI drills yesterday. She couldn't get the drills right, took video and scrapped it as a failed attempt, better luck tomorrow type thing.
Maybe you ought to take the hint from you DD?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Worked unsuccessfully with my older daughter on some HI drills yesterday. She couldn't get the drills right, took video and scrapped it as a failed attempt, better luck tomorrow type thing. Kept talking about the importance of getting behind the corner, weight back, coiling etc. While she couldn't get the drills just right, she was able to get the feel for a little more coil and it changed the timing of her swing to where her arms were not starting the swing so much but her rear hip was starting the drive while she was still coiling back. Enough for me to notice with my naked eye and like what I saw on at least some of the swings.
She went to practice right after and I told her to just attack oppo during her tee work to try to ingrain the feel of early power and keeping the weight back, then she went to front toss and hit one that landed 4 feet in front of the 200 foot fence. Longest shot of her life. Related? dunno. But she has hit about a thousand balls on this field and this one was 20 feet further than her previous best hit ball.

So if you have drills that you think can help a kid, by all means post them so the defenders have something to try but barring that I will keep on going down the rabbit hole as long as I see incremental results in power and better contact.

One of these days going to update some older videos with casey. Not sure when her next college break is.
A boy I work with maybe 6 lessons so far wants me to add him to the videos I post. His mom says it is ok.

Next time he comes over will film some drills I do

SL

May 3, 2014
No need to drill your kids to death.

Everyone is looking for a magic drill to solve everything. There isn't one. There are a few decent drills but they should be done sparingly. Hit a moving ball while reinforcing the proper sequence of middle out so that the lower half goes before the upper torso. Hit a moving ball to work on timing. Hit a moving ball and play HR derby to have some fun. Hit a moving ball and practice hitting behind the runners. Hit a moving ball to practice zoning your pitch (less than 2 strikes). Hit a moving ball to practice 2K hitting. Hit a moving ball to...well you get the point.

Oct 25, 2009

Everyone is looking for a magic drill to solve everything. There isn't one. There are a few decent drills but they should be done sparingly. Hit a moving ball while reinforcing the proper sequence of middle out so that the lower half goes before the upper torso. Hit a moving ball to work on timing. Hit a moving ball and play HR derby to have some fun. Hit a moving ball and practice hitting behind the runners. Hit a moving ball to practice zoning your pitch (less than 2 strikes). Hit a moving ball to practice 2K hitting. Hit a moving ball to...well you get the point.

Wouldn't they be called drills?

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I agree that drills are best used in moderation. However, a drill can be effective in isolating a specific movement or feeling that gets lost when the hitter is focused on trying to hit a moving ball.

Oct 25, 2009
There's no magic in the drills I've mentioned—unless you consider work magic. It's certainly more entertaining for the player than reading about hitting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA