Launch Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
No need to drill your kids to death.

Everyone is looking for a magic drill to solve everything. There isn't one. There are a few decent drills but they should be done sparingly. Hit a moving ball while reinforcing the proper sequence of middle out so that the lower half goes before the upper torso. Hit a moving ball to work on timing. Hit a moving ball and play HR derby to have some fun. Hit a moving ball and practice hitting behind the runners. Hit a moving ball to practice zoning your pitch (less than 2 strikes). Hit a moving ball to practice 2K hitting. Hit a moving ball to...well you get the point.
You must be anti Hi too? Context Smontext, I say (spit on the ground). LOL

May 3, 2014
LOL - I wasn't referring to anything you said. Everyone is looking for drills to learn how to swing mechanically. It needs to be more athletic, not more mechanical. You can isolate a segment of the swing but 99% of the time that segment gets lost in the over all movement of hitting a ball. Hitters go back instantly to whatever overall pattern they have. Sure, there are a couple that will benefit from isolating a segment but the vast majority seek success in a live setting and will resort to the pattern that feels right to them (leveling the bat and swinging, lunging, squishing the bug, etc)

There's no magic in the drills I've mentioned—unless you consider work magic. It's certainly more entertaining for the player than reading about hitting.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
No need to drill your kids to death.

Everyone is looking for a magic drill to solve everything. There isn't one. There are a few decent drills but they should be done sparingly. Hit a moving ball while reinforcing the proper sequence of middle out so that the lower half goes before the upper torso. Hit a moving ball to work on timing. Hit a moving ball and play HR derby to have some fun. Hit a moving ball and practice hitting behind the runners. Hit a moving ball to practice zoning your pitch (less than 2 strikes). Hit a moving ball to practice 2K hitting. Hit a moving ball to...well you get the point.

I agree as well, but I also believe that once you have reached a plateau it is time to break things down, keep the good, get rid of the bad and reassemble. it is fall so we are in tear down mode in a few areas. I just hope when we reassemble there are not too many brackets and bolts in the "where did these go?" pile.

May 3, 2014
Don't necessarily disagree but it would depend on what the plateau is.

Is it mental? Is it strength? Is it just going back to bad habits?

One of my better hitters once in a while will drift back to the bad habits that brought her to me in the first place. It's nothing horrible but not up to her standards and she knows she is missing something so we tune up. No need to tear it all down.

I agree as well, but I also believe that once you have reached a plateau it is time to break things down, keep the good, get rid of the bad and reassemble. it is fall so we are in tear down mode in a few areas. I just hope when we reassemble there are not too many brackets and bolts in the "where did these go?" pile.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yesterday I posted this:
RodriguezAlex-629.gif
and got a silly comment:
Numbnuz ship for brains shows this clip....
....as an example of 'handpath'.
Yet....at no time....do his hands move from his rear shoulder. They are in the same exact position relative to the shoulder the entire time. But he sees handpath. LMAO.
Now that is some high level analysis, isn't it.

But but but.... lol His hands stay too, yet he's focused on a hand-path.

StevenFrames.gif

leerph, this hitter abandoned how to get the handle to a place to release the barrel - on the inside seam. He focused more on JUST turning the barrel.
That over-baked torque, forced him to connect the elbow to the body for support of the hands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma