Launch Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think this is a very good gif. In my opinion, a number of things are happening between frames 8 and 11. One is initial direction. The hitter's eyes are watching the ball and sending that information to the hands which are making fine adjustments to compensate for speed and location. If you look at the location of the barrel in relationship to Miggy's head at frame 11 in each swing, you can notice some very small differences. I believe this is because he is not only adjusting his body/torso slightly to the pitch location, but his hands are making those adjustments as well.

Cabrera_stack_slow.gif

I don't think there is a whole lot of difference. In my head, the jury is still out on how much - if any - physical adjustment should happen before launch, during the reading of the pitch location. I see a whole lot of it in the flawed swings of young hitters, but it seems to disappear in the HL swings we use as examples.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
The fact that someone doesn't realize that the hands are doing the directing here, speaks volumes on why he was a career .170 hitter... Oh,,, he's felt it. Unfortunately the "it" was the walk of shame back to the bench.

RodriguezAlex-629.gif

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Howe showing up has no relevance to our discussion. Sure, it's entertaining to read your responses to him and all that, but I'm content with where you left off.

There is directing (Directing) to a 'general' spot during the Launch Movement.

There is directing (Diriching) to a 'specific' spot after the Launch.

I can understand if you don't want to get into details about how you think hitters direct to the general location during launch movement. You can think about it a bit and we can come back to it later when you need some more content for your blog.

Thank you for helping me understand the way HI distinguishes...

DIRECT - LAUNCH - DIRICH!

Aug 28, 2012
Howe showing up has no relevance to our discussion. Sure, it's entertaining to read your responses to him and all that, but I'm content with where you left off.

There is directing (Directing) to a 'general' spot during the Launch Movement.

There is directing (Diriching) to a 'specific' spot after the Launch.

I can understand if you don't want to get into details about how you think hitters direct to the general location during launch movement. You can think about it a bit and we can come back to it later when you need some more content for your blog.

Thank you for helping me understand the way HI distinguishes...

DIRECT - LAUNCH - DIRICH!

I agree that 'to' is a potentially problematic word. It can imply a shortening of distance. I believe that your intent is to convey a "pointing of direction" rather than a shortening of distance. Correct?

e.g. The missile launcher on the ship directed the rocket at/to/towards the enemy base. Then the missile launched. Then the precision guidance system directed the missile at/to/towards the command center in the base.

The 'direction to' is independent of the missile thrust which actually powered the missile 'to' the target. I know the analogy breaks down because the missile thrust is continuous throughout the missile flight and that isn't analogous to Launch and spend all in at launch, but as far as 'to' goes, you agree right? Direction vs. Distance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd