Last 'game swing'...what to work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2012
When talking about abduction of the hips I get confused.

Are we talking baseball speak or anatomy/biomechanics speak?

I am not sure folks here have a biomechanics background so I am asking to get some feeling for the subject and discussion.

Abduction is the action of moving away from a reference point. In the case of the thumb it would be the lateral movement away from the third ray (third finger/third metatacarpal). Whereas ADDuction would be the sideways movement towards the middle of the hand or the reference point of the third ray.

In my 30 years of medical and biomechanical work I find the terms get confused frequently with internal rotation and external rotation.

As far as the Buster Posey criticism I am at a loss. Dude smokes the ball consistently and puts up big numbers and clutch situations. This hitting mechanics thing can get truly ridiculous when we start trying to change hugely successful people into a perceived 'ideal' swing even if it reduces or potentially reduces their productivity.

If someone were to change Buster Posey's swing mechanics and I were the SF Giants owner I would put a contract out on that fool.

.....just saying.......

Oct 25, 2009
Again, I ask this question, do you like the finish? If one of your students "finished" like this what would be your feedback to the student?

For the record, no one is doubting Buster Posey's skill.

Jul 19, 2012
I would like the finish if the player was squaring up the ball at contact after letting the ball get deep and driving the ball with authority. I am more of a results guy that a micro manager. If it is not working I'd be all over it however, I consider minor mechanics variations 'style' rather than a flaw.

It would be interesting if Buster Posey's finish would vary depending on pitch location. For example, an inside high pitch versus an outside low pitch. It should based on planes and attack angles.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Again, I ask this question, do you like the finish? If one of your students "finished" like this what would be your feedback to the student?

For the record, no one is doubting Buster Posey's skill.

At what point after contact do you think that the finish start to become ugly? IMO, its simply a matter of style and if the results are consistently good then I can live with a lot of styles

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
When talking about abduction of the hips I get confused.

If I lay on my left side and lift my right leg, my foot moves away from my body. That is called abduction; correct?

If I stand in the batter's box with my feet shoulder width apart and stride, my pelvis moves forward while my leg stays fixed because my foot is in a cleat on the ground.

I'm abducting in both instances. In one instance my foot moves away from the body; in the other instance my body moves away from my foot.

Jul 19, 2012
Correct one is open chain kinetics and the otehr is closed chain kinetics.

I have read here many times where others confuse true abduction with internal/external rotation or even hip flexion/extension. That's why I asked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207