Last 'game swing'...what to work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Here is a swing from the last outdoor tournament of the season. What do we work on to get better extension after contact and 'finish the swing'? To me, her hands/wrists seem to sort of collapse after contact. She looks better in dry swings and off of a tee, but looking to improve her live game swing. If there are other areas you recommend tackling first, I appreciate those comments as well.

Full speed:
M2U00124 - YouTube

Slowed down:
live swing slowmo - YouTube

Thanks,
VW

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Hey W ya,
Her lower half look very do able. She (oh lord here I go), has "Yeager" style. From the waist down she looks like my dd. We are going to change a bit, but as I have bragged before, dd is the only 12 yr old I have seen hitting OTF and doing it frequently. So for now, the only thing I would change lower half is add a little more bend in her waist and knees. Do exactly what she does with her knee cocking off a tee, but have her hold and feel the full coil and cock for a count, "1-1000 launch"

Her upper half, her bat is recoiling a lot. Search and research loading. In a summary, she is bat wrapping and loading her hands. Work on loading her scap, her shoulder blade area pinching together, bat a little more vertical, a feel like she punching from her lats.
Launch, throw the barrel with her top hand. Throw past her bottom hand, search on her all the drills that several of us have posted on this. Add some TCB balls to it also. I will bet a $20 she will be otf jackin by summer.

May 16, 2010
Here is a swing from the last outdoor tournament of the season. What do we work on to get better extension after contact and 'finish the swing'? To me, her hands/wrists seem to sort of collapse after contact. She looks better in dry swings and off of a tee, but looking to improve her live game swing. If there are other areas you recommend tackling first, I appreciate those comments as well.

Full speed:
M2U00124 - YouTube

Slowed down:
live swing slowmo - YouTube

Thanks,
VW

She's just pulling the knob around with stiff wrists, rather than throwing the barrel. There's no ulnar deviation (look it up :) Radial and Ulnar Deviation - YouTube ) action and no roll over of the top hand after contact. It's as if she is so afraid to roll the wrists that she never gets any release of the barrel. The wrists DO roll; just not prior to contact. The simultaneous ulnar deviation with both wrists, snaps the barrel into the ball. You snap and then roll. Throw the barrel, don't pull it.

Ulnar deviation is the outward movement of the hands, as shown in the video.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I watched the slow-mo video alot. Your DD's bottom half I like alot. I have asked numerous times what is so wrong with the 'Yeager" style. On (Yeager)that I will continue experimenting. Please can someone point out to me what is wrong with this posters DD's bottom half. What am I missing? I see her not extenting at contact. I see her after contact collasaping her swing. I would like her upper body staying back and hitting behind the ball. I see that in my own DD. Yes your DD needs to "throw the barrel at the ball". I like her bottom half. Please show me what I am missing on what is wrong with her bottom half. Alot to like. Bottom half needs no work hips up needs work.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I watched the slow-mo video alot. Your DD's bottom half I like alot. I have asked numerous times what is so wrong with the 'Yeager" style. On (Yeager)that I will continue experimenting. Please can someone point out to me what is wrong with this posters DD's bottom half. What am I missing? I see her not extenting at contact. I see her after contact collasaping her swing. I would like her upper body staying back and hitting behind the ball. I see that in my own DD. Yes your DD needs to "throw the barrel at the ball". I like her bottom half. Please show me what I am missing on what is wrong with her bottom half. Alot to like. Bottom half needs no work hips up needs work.

I guess since I am the only one that mentioned the bottom half, guess you mean me. Maybe I put too many words in it. Summary, she looks like my kid's bottom half (who has worked to get that), I would just ad a bit of bend at the waist and soften the knees, and finally swing exactly like she does, but on a tee and pause for a second to feel the full load. One que I always have told my dd, is "get down into that back leg and explode."
She abducts, pushes, lots of girl's have good success with it. My kid has had good success with it, but we are going to change.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RHC,
That was not in any ways meant towards you,or any posters. This was a general statement. More so from all the latest post from Yeager and anti-yeager. I really truthfully don't see much wrong with the posters DD bottom half. I still am/will follow what Yeager demo's. I don't see how this is wrong. I asked anyone show me why this (bottom half) is wrong. Again, I say, I would like my DD's bottom half,rear leg/foot to do what has been posted. Not that anyone has too but show me what I am missing. RHC not meant for you I have total respect for you and your posts. I hope from my many post you know I not about "hate". I am here to learn.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
She abducts, pushes, lots of girl's have good success with it. My kid has had good success with it, but we are going to change.
See, that is my question. Why is that wrong. Nobody has giving me an answer to that. Is that bad abduction of the rear leg. What should the rear leg/foot do? Not abduct but ER right away? That is the part I must be missing.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
See, that is my question. Why is that wrong. Nobody has giving me an answer to that. Is that bad abduction of the rear leg. What should the rear leg/foot do? Not abduct but ER right away? That is the part I must be missing.

Quick summary as I am up to my elbow in pumpkin innurds.

My biggest question/issue with push/block/push or abduct, block, then swing or however you want to describe a yeager style is timing. Pstein just brought it up and Tman has said it in the past. So you have to push, weight swift, block, start swing and push back. What do you do when you are late? What do you do when you started early and it is a change up? Push, block, wait, bunt? If you swing starts at launch, you don't several move before swing.

Now power: You know that push block create power right? And you know the one legged golfer creates power right? Wouldn't it be best to combine the two? Internally rotate into a block.

Oct 25, 2009
I like the "throw the barrel" suggestions. She also needs to use more core/gluteus to add more power to the weight shift. The shift is good as it is, it just needs a little more "umph".

I believe the results would be tremendous just by adding "throw the barrel" swing repetitions. For each bucket of balls (about 25 balls) I would do another 25 balls of OVER SWINGING. Swing harder/faster than you think you can/should. Sacrifice a little form if necessary; the form will come back. The over swinging works wonders for stepping the power up a level. Front pitches, of course.

PS: Heard this the other day somewhere: There is no "triumph" without the "umph".

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01