10U daughter's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
batdrag.JPG

1) She does not stride when using the tee. She does stride in a game, but is finished when the pitcher has the ball, then she waits and waits.

2) Her move forward is to open her hips. She should be closing her hips as she strides/moves forward.

3) This is causing her to swing with her arms too soon. (the back elbow comes down). Notice her back elbow is down here and the bat head did not move. She should be using the leverage of her body here.

4) All of this is causing a bad case of bat drag (notice the hands behind the back elbow). Since she hasnt moved the bat head at this stage, and she has spent her forward motion (no stride), and she wasted her leverage with the back elbow, from this point forward, she can only drag the bat forward with her hands.

The end result is she has trouble getting the bat head ahead of her hands before contact. Result: foul tips on faster pitching, weak balls oppo.

To fix:
Stop everything you are doing and learn to stride to toe touch. Take dry strides in front of a mirror. Coil inward 45 degrees with the hips and shoulders. Then after you master, take the back elbow back like a bow. Then after mastering, make sure the back forearm is flat (not vertical) when you land. After a few days she will have this mastered.
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Then she needs to work on the timing of when to begin her stride. Probably right before the pitcher lets go, and make sure her toe touches when the ball is halfway. (pitch takes appr. .400 sec and it takes .200 to swing after toe touch)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
IMHO she doesn’t have any type of load in her swing...... I see that she probably believes she does by the way she sets up, steps the front foot forward while bringing the hands up and back. Which is good that she understands that part but it isn’t dynamic..... it is very mechanical and really doesn’t accomplish anything IMO. She is still full of slack when she decides to attack the ball. There are a lot of things that she needs to learn to become an efficient hitter but she is young and can get there, it will just take a good bit of work on both your parts.

Photo%20Oct%2007%2C%201%2055%2048%20PM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I 100% agree with assessment.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My daughter has been putting in a lot of work in an attempt to improve her swing. She rarely strikes out, but has been having trouble driving the ball on contact. Her last game she started to break out going 3-3 with an inside the park HR down the right field line, a double to right (this video), and a single up the middle. Any critique on her swing that could continue to help her improve would be appreciated.

Here is a video with the same angle as in DD's video

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
IMHO she doesn’t have any type of load in her swing...... I see that she probably believes she does by the way she sets up, steps the front foot forward while bringing the hands up and back. Which is good that she understands that part but it isn’t dynamic..... it is very mechanical and really doesn’t accomplish anything IMO. She is still full of slack when she decides to attack the ball. There are a lot of things that she needs to learn to become an efficient hitter but she is young and can get there, it will just take a good bit of work on both your parts.

Photo%20Oct%2007%2C%201%2055%2048%20PM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She's doing what kids do. Pulling with the front side of the body so she can whip her arms through.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 19567

1) She does not stride when using the tee. She does stride in a game, but is finished when the pitcher has the ball, then she waits and waits.

2) Her move forward is to open her hips. She should be closing her hips as she strides/moves forward.

3) This is causing her to swing with her arms too soon. (the back elbow comes down). Notice her back elbow is down here and the bat head did not move. She should be using the leverage of her body here.

4) All of this is causing a bad case of bat drag (notice the hands behind the back elbow). Since she hasnt moved the bat head at this stage, and she has spent her forward motion (no stride), and she wasted her leverage with the back elbow, from this point forward, she can only drag the bat forward with her hands.

The end result is she has trouble getting the bat head ahead of her hands before contact. Result: foul tips on faster pitching, weak balls oppo.

To fix:
Stop everything you are doing and learn to stride to toe touch. Take dry strides in front of a mirror. Coil inward 45 degrees with the hips and shoulders. Then after you master, take the back elbow back like a bow. Then after mastering, make sure the back forearm is flat (not vertical) when you land. After a few days she will have this mastered.
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Then she needs to work on the timing of when to begin her stride. Probably right before the pitcher lets go, and make sure her toe touches when the ball is halfway. (pitch takes appr. .400 sec and it takes .200 to swing after toe touch)
What E said.....lacks sequence.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Op,

agree w most here. She needs to learn to set up and load more dynamically.walk ups, step backs, feet together and stride drills. The actual launch of the swing is quick, short and middle out. Her stability is good as well. This all might go away when she learns how to load correctly. Maybe not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45