Last 'game swing'...what to work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
FWIW - She's got a pretty good swing, IMO. Couple tweaks could improve it. I really like the lower half, except the front foot/leg opens a little much toward pitcher - I'd like to see it closer to 45 degrees i.e., more toward SS than P. Top half - I'm not seeing much delay - top half seems to go same time as lower half - may help to start stride sooner. 2 biggest problems I see are 1) the head keeps moving forward after front heel plant - which drains power and makes tracking the ball more difficult and 2) swing seems to be decelerating going into contact - don't know if more oomph would help or if the rollover issue mentioned previously is a limiting factor.

TCB balls using tee and soft toss over the winter should get her through issue 2. If others agree that the head is drifting, I'm sure they'll also provide a more specific solution than my firming up the front side suggestion (my DD battles this too, physical? or psychological? remnant from ACL replacement).

Jan 24, 2009
Thank you for the replies. I sure am getting responses from many that I had hoped to hear chime in! It may take me a whlle to process some of the technical references and dumb them down into plain English for a 14yo, lol. The 'throw the barrel' reference is mentioned a few times. One problem comes with helping this kid get the "hitting is like overhand throwing" comparison. She throws Right/bats Left. I think she stumbles a bit because throwing or mimicking any sort of left handed throw feels very awkward for her...like any of us righties trying to throw left handed. She has to think about 'hit from the left like you throw from the right.' However, it is the off-season. There is plenty of time and the tweaks seem minor enough to tackle. These are helpful suggestions and I welcome any more help!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Posey_NLDSGm5slam_highside.gif

This video does a great job of showing the external rotation of the rear leg as he begins his stride. Is this the rear leg action posters are speaking about? The rear leg ER and not abducting? I believe this is the rear leg action I am looking to copy and also vdubya DD. Am I understanding this correctly? I believe I may have had and AHA moment.
Thanks FFS for explaining how to post a gif.

May 16, 2010
Posey_NLDSGm5slam_highside.gif

This video does a great job of showing the external rotation of the rear leg as he begins his stride. Is this the rear leg action posters are speaking about? The rear leg ER and not abducting? I believe this is the rear leg action I am looking to copy and also vdubya DD. Am I understanding this correctly? I believe I may have had and AHA moment.
Thanks FFS for explaining how to post a gif.

It is impossible to shift forward to the front leg with any serious force, without abducting. Sure, you could lift the front leg and let it fall, and gravity will drop you down and forward. But, essentially, the human body cannot move sideways off of one leg, without abducting.

Now, it is possible to ER, or IR, while abducting. Critics of Dr. Yeager believe that he only teaches abduction.

Also, most of them don't understand that push-block-push exists in EVERY pro swing, including those that ER, or IR. It's a fundamental principle of the physics and bio-mechanics. They seem to define it as a technique, and one that has totally different properties from THEIR chosen technique. That is not true.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207