Is Gorilla Gold Legal for USSSA? all others?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
USSSA 2011 Rules:
I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. Gorilla Gold is a type of resin and is allow by USSSA Fast Pitch. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

USSSA 2012 Rules:
I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
USSSA 2011 Rules:
I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. Gorilla Gold is a type of resin and is allow by USSSA Fast Pitch. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

USSSA 2012 Rules:
I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

Thanks for the help!!!

Jun 18, 2010
USSSA 2011 Rules:

USSSA 2012 Rules:

USSSA 2013 Rules:

Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at
any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball,
the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither
shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a
foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the
supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the
hands to dry them. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow
may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

Gorilla Gold was specifically mentioned in the 2011 USSSA Rules, but removed in 2012 and 2013. Does anyone know the status of Gorilla Gold in USSSA and ASA?

Sep 3, 2009
USSSA 2013 Rules:
Gorilla Gold was specifically mentioned in the 2011 USSSA Rules, but removed in 2012 and 2013. Does anyone know the status of Gorilla Gold in USSSA and ASA?

Same thing with ASA. It was specifically mentioned in the 2012 book as an approved drying agent but that line is gone from the 2013 rulebook. I asked the manufacturer and they had no knowledge of it being removed. Put a call into ASA and have received no response as of yet. The current rulebook only states that under the supervision of the umpire, powdered resin and/or approved drying agent that is included on the list published by the ASA may be used by the pitcher. I have yet to find someone who knows where this list is.

My 12yo DD has a tournament this weekend and it will likely be around 40 degrees at game time. In the past she has used GG in those temps and in a couple of cases the umpires were not familiar with it but were fine with it when we showed them the rulebook. Problem is that now the rulebook no longer mentions it.

Anyone have info on this?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't think any would argue that a rosin bag contains a drying agent that dries wet or slippery hands; however, I don't see how the Gorilla Gold cloth can be considered a similar "drying agent". IMO, its a tack rag that leaves the fingers tacky or sticky and provides the pitcher with an improved grip. Its use after every pitch on a dry day would appear to support this conclusion. Just my 2 cents (and obviously not the opion of a pitcher's parent)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand