In-game discipline - push-ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If a coach has to make a player do 10 pushups during a game to get the kid to pay attention, either he/she is not a very good coach or he/she has the wrong players. You can make the correction without singling out the player and embarrassing her in front of everyone. If she knows she missed it, doing pushups won't help her know it more. If she doesn't know she missed it, there's something bigger wrong with the process.

I use pushups, situps, etc. in practice to create more of a sense of game-like pressure. If the player is playing for something in practice, like not doing situps, it helps her learn to deal with pressure so she can perform during a game. But never as punishment, and certainly never in a game.

Practice time is the coach's time. Game time is the players' time. Or at least it should be. Call out an instruction, make note of what when wrong and fix it next practice.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Take her playing time away IMO is one of the worst solutions. Nothing shows a lack in confidence like pulling a kid. Continue playing her with off field discipline. Show her you still believe in her ability to play but also enforces the discipline it takes to play well.

I'm not talking about pulling a player in the middle of an inning, or even a game unless it's been a disaster. I'm saying that players don't need to be punished to be motivated to make plays. Competition is the motivator. Everyone must win and retain their position. I would never replace my second baseman to punish a player. I would do that only if it became apparent that a change in the lineup was best for the team in the long run (not as an in-game punishment).

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If a coach has to make a player do 10 pushups during a game to get the kid to pay attention, either he/she is not a very good coach or he/she has the wrong players. You can make the correction without singling out the player and embarrassing her in front of everyone. If she knows she missed it, doing pushups won't help her know it more. If she doesn't know she missed it, there's something bigger wrong with the process.

Well said. I like how you defined the problem -- either the player is self-motivated and doesn't need punishment, or she's the wrong player. If she's the wrong player (lacks motivation/desire), then somebody else will beat her out, either this season or next, as in she won't be back. if she has desire, then she just needs good coaching. Players who need punishment are the wrong players.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would have no problem pulling a player, mid inning, that is standing around. She is likely to get hurt or cause someone to get hurt.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I'm not talking about pulling a player in the middle of an inning, or even a game unless it's been a disaster. I'm saying that players don't need to be punished to be motivated to make plays. Competition is the motivator. Everyone must win and retain their position. I would never replace my second baseman to punish a player. I would do that only if it became apparent that a change in the lineup was best for the team in the long run (not as an in-game punishment).

How about yanking a player in the middle of an at-bat? The guy that runs a very well known TB organization (and takes over teams in championship games from their normal coaches) here in San Diego is famous for this little stunt...that's a real confidence builder...

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
pushups (and sit ups) are a great way to refocus a player, it is healthy, increases strength and does not have to be demeaning, I don't agree with doing it in a game because it is a distraction. During practice it is a great way to give feedback. DD is the same as the others mentioned. She is really good at making pitching adjustments after pushups. I don't even have to say it anymore, one pitch to the wrong side of the plate is OK, two in a row (no adjustment) is 10 pushups and 20 sit ups. Two months ago she looked like PRIVATE BENJAMIN doing them now she looks like Ronda Rousey doing them and she is super proud (I even caught her showing her coach how good she is at them).

Yanking a player in the middle of an at bat is useless humiliation. I live in San Diego and would love to know which team this is so I don't accidentally end up on it some day.

Grab my daughter's facemask in an aggressive way and I will be assaulting you in the parking lot after the game.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Did this all occur during a time out requested by the coach, or during the time that elapsed between the end of the play and the next batter coming to bat?

Curious because the pitcher (by rule) has :20 sec. to release the next pitch.
It was during the normal time between plays. Even though it felt like everyone was waiting, it was not like the game was held up. The player was just the center of attention for a moment while the pitcher, catcher, and batter got ready.

I'd be ok with push-ups if my DD had focus issues, but not at all ok with her facemask being grabbed in an aggressive manner.

Mar 13, 2010
It was during the normal time between plays. Even though it felt like everyone was waiting, it was not like the game was held up. The player was just the center of attention for a moment while the pitcher, catcher, and batter got ready.
Understand what you're saying. But, by rule that 'normal time' has a limit....:20 sec. So we've got the HC calling out to F4 to give him 10 pushups, F4 has to drop down and do the 10 get herself 'reset' defensively to how the HC wants the next batter played (R1 on 1B), then F1 has to get her sign etc. and get ready to pitch to the next batter.

I'm sure that all can be done in :20 sec., but if not HC is risking having the pitcher start with an 1-0 count on the batter before she even threw a pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug