In-game discipline - push-ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Sometimes, for whatever reason, a coach needs to get a player's attention.

F4 failed to cover 1B on a bunt. Immediately after the play, the coach said she needed to get her head in the game and instructed the player to drop and do 10. 'Right now?' she asked. 'Yes, right now' he replied. So, she knocked out 10 push-ups while everyone watched and waited. It didn't take an inordinate amount of time, but after getting her sign, P did have to take a look back to make sure her fielder was ready.

When that batter put the ball into play, she made a terrific diving catch attempt behind 1B and threw the B-R out with an impressive backhanded flip from her knees.

Overall, this was a fun team to watch, but that moment caught me off-guard. This was 16u.

Did this all occur during a time out requested by the coach, or during the time that elapsed between the end of the play and the next batter coming to bat?

Curious because the pitcher (by rule) has :20 sec. to release the next pitch.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
For those who believe in pushups as punishment, why do you feel it's a good fit for youth softball but not other areas?

Would it work in business? Why don't bosses make employees do pushups in the office if they mess up?

Or what about the school play? Why don't teachers/directors have kids do pushups if they flub/forget their lines?

Should kids do a pushup in front of the class for every point below an A that they make? Or pushups for forgetting to turn in homework?

What aren't pushups-as-punishment a universal tactic to bring out the best in people? What is it about certain youth sports?

Jun 1, 2013
1) Who said it is not good for other youth sports or they don't use it? I have seen coaches make 8u baseball players do them, football players, and many other players.
Wait..... I just had dd give me 10 for missing questions at her academic meet. I stopped typing to count them out. Why? It's not really punishment but she understands there are certain results expected. That is her view. The real reason she does push ups is because I want her stronger in her upper body. If she messes up during track season, school work, softball, or even if I make something up she does mileS. Why? Because she needs to build stamina in her legs for track. I do this for my sons as well. I work on their core strengths and stamina and they mind their p's and q's during school and on the field. Punishments for athletes IMO should be something athletic. Squat thrusts, there mere mention of them and my kids will sit straight and zone in on whatever the task. I use them during the summer to build leg muscles.
What do you think should happen? Take a phone away? How is an athlete getting better by taking their phone away?
Doesn't work in business because they are not athletes. Same thing for school kind of. Let coaches know their players are foolin around in class and they are pushing boards, running around the track, bull in the ring, stadiums. They are correcting bad behavior with something positive for the child.
IMO all punishments should be made to somehow make the child better while teaching a lesson.

Dec 20, 2012
Sometimes, for whatever reason, a coach needs to get a player's attention.

F4 failed to cover 1B on a bunt. Immediately after the play, the coach said she needed to get her head in the game and instructed the player to drop and do 10. 'Right now?' she asked. 'Yes, right now' he replied. So, she knocked out 10 push-ups while everyone watched and waited. It didn't take an inordinate amount of time, but after getting her sign, P did have to take a look back to make sure her fielder was ready.

When that batter put the ball into play, she made a terrific diving catch attempt behind 1B and threw the B-R out with an impressive backhanded flip from her knees.

Overall, this was a fun team to watch, but that moment caught me off-guard. This was 16u.

RIDICULOUS!! Sounds like a rec coach trying to look big time. 16u and not covering the bunt, I BLAME THE COACH. If she did not cover then I would think that it had not been addressed enough in practice. OR if he immediately said "drop and give me 10" then he expected that from her and should either had someone else playing 2nd or spent more time on it in practice. Any way you look at it there is a time and place for discipline and on the field in the middle of the game is really not the place IMO.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Really? During a game? Give me a friggin break! What if EVERY coach had their players drop and do 10 after EVERY error or EVERY boneheaded play? Would you think it was a good thing then and effective coaching??? Seriously...think about your last game...what would the post game chit chat be if 6 kids had to drop and do 10 at some point during the game? Would you be saying..."what a great coach he was making them do all those push-ups during the game...he really taught and motivated them...I wish I was like him!" When coaches do this it tells me it's about them...not the players. He probably thought he was being funny and/or trying to hide and find a scapegoat for his lack of coaching abilities...what a DBag. Save it for later and play the damn game!

Jun 1, 2013
She could have missed a sign for coverage call. 2nd doesn't always cover first.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this should have been done in a game.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What do you think should happen? Take a phone away? How is an athlete getting better by taking their phone away?

Take their playing time away. Natural consequences. Trust that the athlete will feel embarrassed and/or determined without punishment, and if she doesn't, natural consequences will result. Also see myself as an ally/partner in her development as a player. What can 'we' do to make her a better player. Where there is trust, there is no blame.

That's the short version. You've heard it before. :)

Jun 1, 2013
Take her playing time away IMO is one of the worst solutions. Nothing shows a lack in confidence like pulling a kid. Continue playing her with off field discipline. Show her you still believe in her ability to play but also enforces the discipline it takes to play well. Of course, this depends on just how good your second choice is. How are you garnering trust by showing her you don't trust her to play the position. Let's look at it another way, you want her to get better by NOT playing her position? Does that make sense?
Let's not forget #2 either, what do you do with her after player #1 fixes her problem. The kid has played well and really wants to play second unfortunately she is not as gifted has #1. Now you have damaged your team a little because your center fielder feels she has earned her spot at second and you are playing favorites. Your utility player on the bench has been filling in for centerfield while #1 was pulled. She likes the playing time, she has been waiting for it. She has made no errors but is not as fast as the regular centerfielder. Now you got a mad centerfielder and a bench player that thinks she should play a lot more at center because center proved herself at second..... What a mess. Don't pull her unless it is for good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse