In-game discipline - push-ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Sometimes, for whatever reason, a coach needs to get a player's attention.

F4 failed to cover 1B on a bunt. Immediately after the play, the coach said she needed to get her head in the game and instructed the player to drop and do 10. 'Right now?' she asked. 'Yes, right now' he replied. So, she knocked out 10 push-ups while everyone watched and waited. It didn't take an inordinate amount of time, but after getting her sign, P did have to take a look back to make sure her fielder was ready.

When that batter put the ball into play, she made a terrific diving catch attempt behind 1B and threw the B-R out with an impressive backhanded flip from her knees.

Overall, this was a fun team to watch, but that moment caught me off-guard. This was 16u.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I love it! I always tell my DD that I am going to make her "drop and give me 10" during the middle of a game when her concentration wonders......it works great in practice, but I have never had the cahonees to make her do it in a game!

Feb 3, 2011
Even though a couple of moms at the ballpark focused on how humiliating this incident was, I was very glad that she got a chance to redeem herself so quickly in such an impressive manner.

Jul 26, 2010
I like it. Made a mistake, received instant feedback, received instructions for corrective action, implemented instructions for corrective action, and resumed play. Can't beat that.

-W

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
That is bad coaching. We tried A ball for the first time in with my 11 year old. Very disappointed to learn the negative, toxic culture that pervades most A ball programs in our area (bay are CA)

Know of numerous local A teams that yank girls out of games, and do other on-the-spot techniques to get points across. I just don't buy it. I think it's crutch, honestly, for weak coaches who are collecting $$$ from families, to make them think it's somehow a higher level program.

I grew up in a little community in CA that is a baseball prospect machine. Very fortunate. Went to many Pony level tournaments, won high school championship for decades, numerous state titles, legion world series (back when legion was the biggest game in town), and a stream of pro prospects and players, including the #11 overall pick when I was there. And we never ever had this brow-beating nonsense. It's absolutely bush league.

Jun 24, 2013
IDK

Physical errors are one thing, doing something stupid when you know better is another. I have no problem with the player doing pushups.

Jul 2, 2013
That is bad coaching. We tried A ball for the first time in with my 11 year old. Very disappointed to learn the negative, toxic culture that pervades most A ball programs in our area (bay are CA)

Know of numerous local A teams that yank girls out of games, and do other on-the-spot techniques to get points across. I just don't buy it. I think it's crutch, honestly, for weak coaches who are collecting $$$ from families, to make them think it's somehow a higher level program.

I grew up in a little community in CA that is a baseball prospect machine. Very fortunate. Went to many Pony level tournaments, won high school championship for decades, numerous state titles, legion world series (back when legion was the biggest game in town), and a stream of pro prospects and players, including the #11 overall pick when I was there. And we never ever had this brow-beating nonsense. It's absolutely bush league.

Completely agree. There are simply betters ways. Also am not a big fan of wasting time (and money) doing discipline, or many of the others time wasting antics in 1 hr 20 minute games.

Much prefer 7 inning games. Then folks can dilly dally all they want.

What do folks think about the coach grabbing a players helmet cage to yell at them?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am always amazed how my DD can instantly throw a strike after doing 10 pushups right after she threw 5 balls in a row......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse