In-game discipline - push-ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't think the ends justify the means. Making a player drop down and do 10 push-ups in the middle of an actual game because she had a mental lapse (which all players do at some point during a 7 inning game) is insane to me as a coach and a parent. What if the catcher allows a passed ball, or the pitcher missed the sign and throws a screwball instead of a curve, are you going to make them do push-ups for every perceived mental lapse? I can just see it now, the catcher in full gear doing push-ups every inning and is now too tired to throw down to 2nd on a steal! The other issue is you shouldn't make running laps, doing push-ups, etc a form of punishment. As a coach you should encourage physical conditioning for your players, not use it to send a negative message if you make a physical or mental error. You can't play this game in fear of making a mistake where you know you will be humiliated or embarrassed, publicly and physically every single time you make an error. IMO, very poor judgment by this coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug