Illegal Pitch Not Called

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2013
We had a Little League 10U All Stars game tonight where a pitcher stepped forward with her pivot foot on every pitch. Sometimes it was 6 inches, other times just a few. Plate umpire said that the step had to be far enough to see and this was not. I can appreciate that this may a difficult call for the PU, but I was standing directly behind the Base Umpire and it couldn't have been more obvious. Problem may have been that the BU was very young and would not make the call.

Question is, what is the rule on making this call? Whether you could see how far she stepped or not seems irrelevant. It is obvious when the pivot foot is moving forward.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitching rubber at the start of the pitch. It can be dragged off during forward motion but you can't step off and then push off. It is an illegal replant.

I've seen pitchers do it before and have seen adult umpires not call it. They tend not to want to call illegal pitches - especially if they know the team. Good ones will, though, regardless.

Dec 7, 2011
Umpires are either very afraid of calling IP's and/or very unaware of IP rules and how to apply them. (here comes the angry umps again but I don't care - I will always speak my peace on something that just ain't right in the world).

IP is the fly in the Chardonnay of fastpitch. Period.

Jan 20, 2009
10-U All Stars? We are often instructed to be lenient here, depending on the apparent abilities or lack thereof.
With leniency, we will discuss with coach between innings as a teaching moment.

Dec 7, 2011
10-U All Stars? We are often instructed to be lenient here, depending on the apparent abilities or lack thereof.

Absolutely - in my fever to "get on" the IP case there must be this kind of "soft-start" to the game for players this young. BUT in the end the rules (after a few warnings) needs to be maintained - given this is an all-stars scenario.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
"What IP, I didn't see an IP".

ee7038b76d381b4c7905c44face10dbd_zps498c2e2a.jpg
[/IMG]

Jul 30, 2013
I would agree in most cases. If it is an inexperienced pitcher and the replant is not giving her an advantage, a warning is appropriate. This pitcher was dominant. One of the fastest I've seen at this age. There was not even so much as a warning given.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest

Same here. While I agree with the rules we also follow the direction of our UIC and/or league chief umpire. Speak with the person in charge for more info.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is sad that she is good and is allowed to gym step. That will come back to haunt her, at a most inopportune time. Around here, sometimes it is "who you are," whether you need to pitch legally or not. Some umps don't want to deal with dads that throw a fit, if their DD is called on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32