If High School ball is cancelled. Then those girls can now play Travel?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
@shaunw09 ... nothing personal intended, so I apologize if I came off that way. It's just that the same question is being asked a million times over -- mainly by coaches and parents who simply are not grasping the severity of our current state. They are wanting the kids to play today, not making a contingency plan for when things approach a state of normal again.

If a state association actually CANCELS a season, I would say that releases players from any state association rules. Most, I believe, are suspending with a wait-and-see approach in hopes that some season can be salvaged. Unfortunately, the ones running around playing tournaments now are going to delay the "return to normal".

Feb 20, 2020
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You can share the information with people but you can't make them think. There will always be folks who, for whatever reason won't choose to do what others want them to. Hopefully all of those types will be able to look back on their behaviors and confidently say they didn't get sick or contribute to others getting sick. I personally don't believe that they'll know whether they did or didn't but....

While I'm doing my bit to encourage and participate in social distancing, I think here's just as good a chance we'll look back and see that it didn't make one bit of difference. If we all start interacting again in three weeks or in six, there could just as easily be another wave of infections, because we haven't built up antibodies or immunities.

As Stephen Crane wrote: A singular disadvantage of the sea lies in the fact that after successfully surmounting one wave you discover another behind it just as important and just as nervously anxious to do something effective in the way of swamping boats. There's no reason to think we're in just one wave, because there could be another coming right behind it. As we've worked so hard to flattten the curve, what we've done is actually stretch out the amount it time it takes to get any kind of herd immunity. Even if you look at the curve diagram everyone shows, what you see is the amount of time of actual impact of the disease triples. And to be honest, I've not seen anything that suggests the mortality rate diminishes with social distancing. It just takes longer to get there. There's no vaccine we're waiting on; there's no cure coming. We're just waiting this thing out. So while I'm doing my part and I'm sure everyone else is to, I'm afraid we're being sold a fallicy that doing any of this will, in the end, help save lives. It might, but I think there's an a decent chance that it might not.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
What's tricky is that social distancing will make a difference for the hardest hit because it should limit how bad it gets for hospitals, doctors, etc. The problem is that I think it actually drags things out for the healthy and less sick people, and I wonder at what point that group gets frustrated and says screw it. We're 3 or 4 days into it, what will people's moods be 4 weeks into it?

May 29, 2015
And to be honest, I've not seen anything that suggests the mortality rate diminishes with social distancing ... So while I'm doing my part and I'm sure everyone else is to, I'm afraid we're being sold a fallicy that doing any of this will, in the end, help save lives. It might, but I think there's an a decent chance that it might not.

What's tricky is that social distancing will make a difference for the hardest hit because it should limit how bad it gets for hospitals, doctors, etc.

Slowing the spread is not about keeping you healthy or buying time for a cure. It is about not overwhelming the healthcare system with a surge. This is what is happening in Italy right now -- they are determining that patients over 80 years-old will not be saved because the system has been overwhelmed with a sudden spike (the bad version of the "flatten the curve" graph). https://www.businessinsider.com/prioritizing-covid-19-patients-based-age-likely-wont-fly-us-2020-3

Right here in America, hospitals are already postponing surgeries to conserve resources and staff, including surgeries for cancer patients. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/us/coronavirus-covid-surgeries-canceled.html

It is about not slamming the hospitals with coronavirus patients so they can continue to take care of other maladies. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...041dc6-63ce-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html

Mar 28, 2014
again sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I just couldn't find the answer. If high school ball is cancelled. Why couldn't they play travel ball in April? That seems to be the date when everyone is going back to school and if the season is cancelled they shouldn't have to sit on the sidelines while everyone is playing. It was just a question. Everyone seems to pounce on somebody for asking a question. Maybe that is a mentality that needs to changed. It is amazing the aggressive responses to such a simply question.
Lol!!! Reality check. The responses you didn't like were not regarding your question. it was regarding your rude response. Duh.

Only on the internet can you find someone that would initially respond to someone with a rude comment like this "Didn't really answer the question." and then be so detached from the reality of their own actions that they spend the next 5 posts playing the victim because of all of these "aggressive" responses.

Gotta love it.

Feb 20, 2020
Slowing the spread is not about keeping you healthy or buying time for a cure. It is about not overwhelming the healthcare system with a surge. This is what is happening in Italy right now -- they are determining that patients over 80 years-old will not be saved because the system has been overwhelmed with a sudden spike (the bad version of the "flatten the curve" graph). https://www.businessinsider.com/prioritizing-covid-19-patients-based-age-likely-wont-fly-us-2020-3

Right here in America, hospitals are already postponing surgeries to conserve resources and staff, including surgeries for cancer patients. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/us/coronavirus-covid-surgeries-canceled.html

It is about not slamming the hospitals with coronavirus patients so they can continue to take care of other maladies. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...041dc6-63ce-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html

I understand the theory. I'm not sure it's going to work because the social distancing is just sliding the curve father back. Unless we are reducing susceptibility at the same time we're reducing infection rate (which I don't think we can do at this point since there is no vaccine and no cure) then the hospital overload may just be sliding down the time index.

Oct 7, 2015
I understand the theory. I'm not sure it's going to work because the social distancing is just sliding the curve father back. Unless we are reducing susceptibility at the same time we're reducing infection rate (which I don't think we can do at this point since there is no vaccine and no cure) then the hospital overload may just be sliding down the time index.

Maybe this will make it easier to see why social distancing will work if done effectively.

May 29, 2015
Would it help if we took that same ”flatten the curve” diagram and applied it to pitchers coming out high school and going into college? ;)

If they all come out at once, you can only take one or two stud pitchers. If they come out over a ten year span, you are golden!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA