I guess it is my turn, my DD. Have at it so we can improve. 12 YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I would spend sometime working on pre-swing actions that will allow them to get into a dynamic fyb leveraged hitting position like Carp, with no ball.. Once they are in the position grab there hands and barrel and have them work on contracting the core (ballistic) move. Once they own the movement (May take many days) then throw in a ball.. They should be able to tell by feel if they were able to get into the position before whipping the barrel if they own it..

610WPPc.gif

YES!!!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Agree. But you would agree just telling a kid that you need to make sure you are dynamically balanced, e.g. balanced throughout your swing sequence, isn't really helpful for kids who in fact have an imbalanced move out ingrained in their pattern. To them that feels correct. In fact you might as well just tell a kid you need to hit well ;) Being balanced is a result of proper movement.

While it may seem that a hitter would seek movement which keeps them balanced, this requires some level of body awareness. When kids start to hit, e.g. at a younger age, they may not have a sufficient amount of this in order for them to develop naturally into a balanced movement pattern and hence bad movement patterns may become ingrained. Now you might say that kids inherently know what is balanced and what isn't as they learn this when they learn to walk. However in that case there are no external factors (such as a moving ball coming at them).

As they get older, and develop more body awareness, kids may naturally evolve to balanced movements or they may not. In reality in kids who actually hit a lot (e.g. my kid) at a younger age, it may actually be more difficult for this to happen (since the pattern has been ingrained over a large amount of reps) and instead more intervention may be necessary. Not sure, just thinking out loud here :)

You don’t tell them. You show them, then put them, then concentrate on it til it becomes what they do. When the game comes. Tell them to trust it. Results aren’t the goal at this point. Better movements are. Results aren’t a goal when in transition. Explain that to them.

Eventually it will become what they do. It takes time/work. No doubt about it.

I like TDS comment of no ball. Just muddies things up.

Jun 8, 2016
You don’t tell them. You show them, then put them, then concentrate on it til it becomes what they do. When the game comes. Tell them to trust it. Results aren’t the goal at this point. Better movements are. Results aren’t a goal when in transition. Explain that to them.

Eventually it will become what they do. It takes work. No doubt about it.

I like TDS comment of no ball. Just muddies things up.
Agree on all of this. Bolded is key and for some kids you can replace the word game with "a moving ball".

Nov 16, 2017
Was her move out off the tee the same (or similar) to her live ball swing before your work last night because it is better in the recent tee swing.
I took the Trout video you posted, explained to her she was reaching with her foot and not gaining ground with her middle. We worked on it and she struggle a bit to understand how to stay balanced and back while moving forward. What helped her was driving the back knee down more. She was driving it forward more instead of down. Once the back knee got down she gained the balance needed.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Took the tips, did some work. It is like eating an elephant though. One bite at a time.

Still seeing her back toe leak out to duck status. Corrected in the beginning but it worked its way out. Means the load is working right by pulling the front toes back but got to keep them straight so as not to the lose the energy generated. Tee may have been a bit inside, I see her adjusting her front arm down a bit more to stay inside.

Really tried working on the downward shoulder angle at load and into the move out. Worked on gaining some ground on the move out while still maintaining balance and weight in the rear leg.

Posture is better. Not exactly right though. Her mass is out of position, leads to drifting. Not good.

Imo driving the back knee down is a recipe for a spin-out pull-off waiting to happen. I want the hip doing the driving reactively.

Jmho.

Nov 8, 2018
James, I agree with work here. Look at video in slow motion.
At launch that head shouldn’t be moving forward. As with dd she doesn’t live on step then starts forward movement on launch.
It’s pretty clear actually. That’s going to cause problems later. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 16, 2017
James, I agree with work here. Look at video in slow motion.
At launch that head shouldn’t be moving forward. As with dd she doesn’t live on step then starts forward movement on launch.
It’s pretty clear actually. That’s going to cause problems later. IMHO

And the journey continues.... So I got her to start gaining ground with the middle but now the problem you pointed out has arrived. She is now carrying that momentum after launch. So I will work with her next on arresting the forward move at heel plant so that she can swing around her spine .

snf drill in order I presume?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
And the journey continues.... So I got her to start gaining ground with the middle but now the problem you pointed out has arrived. She is now carrying that momentum after launch. So I will work with her next on arresting the forward move at heel plant so that she can swing around her spine .

snf drill in order I presume?

You may just want to break up the swing. Have her step. Then swing. Keep her head steady after step. Have her focus on keeping that head in one spot as she swings.
Now of course that will probably create other issues lol that I can’t predict. Ha.
Try and see.

Nov 16, 2017
Posture is better. Not exactly right though. Her mass is out of position, leads to drifting. Not good.

Imo driving the back knee down is a recipe for a spin-out pull-off waiting to happen. I want the hip doing the driving reactively.

Jmho.

For kicks and giggles I took a video of myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06