I guess it is my turn, my DD. Have at it so we can improve. 12 YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like her swing.

She tilts her shoulders backwards, drops the back shoulder. The shoulder does move down in the swing, although it's because of posture/tilt over the plate, swing around the spine/torso. So she can improve on hand/barrel path.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
With the bad tilt backwards, her shoulders don't get/start downhill. The front shoulder should be lower then the back shoulder. So the "attack" posture is off.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
With the bad tilt backwards, her shoulders don't get start downhill. The front shoulder should be lower then the back shoulder. So the "attack" posture is off.
Would this be because she never got to a downward shoulder angle in the beginning? Therefore shoulder is working correctly but starts at the wrong starting point and goes to far because of that?

Apr 17, 2019
Looks pretty good, I like the gather, but would like to see her hold the coil a little longer. I think it's the same thing Shawn is saying about the attack angle. Her hips open up before the swing starts. I've suggested elsewhere - think about leading with the ankle bone or heel to toe touch. The old 'show the back pocket' maxim.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Would this be because she never got to a downward shoulder angle in the beginning? Therefore shoulder is working correctly but starts at the wrong starting point and goes to far because of that?

Maybe, I'll post some clips showing tilt and swing plane. She might just need some good feedback on what the swing plane does in the swing.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I would guess that most would say to lose the step with the back foot?
With young players especially, the more controlled and least amount of extraneous movement is usually better.

Jun 8, 2016
She is reaching some with her front leg. The reach is putting her shoulders upside down at launch. As I think Trout might be a good comparison, look at how he is moving out in comparison to your DD.
jkG7HqO.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee