How's your HS season going?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
I know how you feel! My DD is the starting pitcher on the JV team and is a real good player. She can play any position and we spend a lot of extra time working on her game. (I have been pitching fastpitch softball for years and have been working with her). But, with politics and the coach having thier team favorites sometimes it's hard to get noticed. It has been frustrating for her. I told her if you really want to get thier attention do it with the bat! If you can hit it's hard to keep you out of the line up. So I would suggest lots of extra batting practice. Work on mechanics (T-work) and live pitching if you can. Good luck!

Oct 10, 2011
The JV Games were a joke. I don't know if the girls on the other team had ever played before except their shortstop. In two games we outscored them by over 40 runs! My DD was walked the first 4 times up, had a couple nice line drives to centerfield and was thrown out twice, with one ugly strike out. She made her way home every time by stealing bases. Coach was sending girls early every inning to get outs. It was actually worse than our rec league:) I didn't like that DD was swinging at things way out of the strike zone because she was sick of being walked. Thank God we have TB practice today. I may say something to the varsity coach about possibly getting at least more practice time with them.

Dec 19, 2012
Our team, and most of the other teams in SW Ohio, have not been able to have an outside practice. However, yesterday was a bit chilly but beautiful and we had two scrimmage games. The first scrimmage was a scoreless game. The second scrimmage the score was 5-1 us and the other coach decided his team was done playing so the game was called. At least it was nice to get outside.....we're expected to get about 4 inches of snow today.

Oct 10, 2011
No kidding! It indicates that the advice to learn to hit, because they'll always find a spot for a hitter, is true!

I noticed that she wants to play OF on Varsity, but is playing 3rd a lot instead. And she wants to play 3rd on JV, but is playing OF instead! Sooooo...she's getting playing time at the positions she has played on her 14U and 16U teams in HS ball, just not in the order she wanted? :-D

Now that the season has started, It doesn't look like she'll play at all with Varsity unless he decides to move her up. She did get to play third for one game yesterday with JV, which suprised us because he never worked her there.

Oct 10, 2011
Our team, and most of the other teams in SW Ohio, have not been able to have an outside practice. However, yesterday was a bit chilly but beautiful and we had two scrimmage games. The first scrimmage was a scoreless game. The second scrimmage the score was 5-1 us and the other coach decided his team was done playing so the game was called. At least it was nice to get outside.....we're expected to get about 4 inches of snow today.

I feel bad for people that have to wait to get outside...We're supposed to get some snow tonight, but it probably won't stick.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The JV Games were a joke. I don't know if the girls on the other team had ever played before except their shortstop. In two games we outscored them by over 40 runs! My DD was walked the first 4 times up, had a couple nice line drives to centerfield and was thrown out twice, with one ugly strike out. She made her way home every time by stealing bases. Coach was sending girls early every inning to get outs. It was actually worse than our rec league:) I didn't like that DD was swinging at things way out of the strike zone because she was sick of being walked. Thank God we have TB practice today. I may say something to the varsity coach about possibly getting at least more practice time with them.

DD's MS games were different. Game to game you could play a really bad Team, a really good Team and everything in between. HC seemed to have a good idea what we were up against from previous experience. Hopefully you will play against some good teams.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

We had a game like this last week. But it was a varsity game. Poor school drove over an hour to get to us, and the game was over in 3 innings ( about 25 mins ). They are usually not a good team so we have a little knowledge in advance. We pitched our JV pitcher against them but even she still overpowered their lineup.

Our coach did what he could, held up runners, left base early........but really there is only so much you can do against a team like that. We did grill hotdogs and passed them out for their drive home.

I like to win more than anyone, but I always wonder how a team gets like that. I mean, I KNOW how a team gets good. ( hard work, practice ) But how does an ENTIRE team not have ANY decent players? I just don't get it. :confused:

Jul 11, 2009
Weather here is crappy. DD's team was fortunate enough to get in 2 scrimmages so far. First scrimmage our team won 22-2, second scrimmage we won 25-1. Believe it or not both games the other teams did not have more than 2 or 3 errors both games. Neither team had good pitching and our girls were knocking the hide off the ball. Will be interesting to see how they do once they do get to see some good pitching which will be with in their first week of games as they have a dbh with one of the best area teams then. But first we have to get past this white stuff, calling for 5 - 9 inches of the stuff today and tonight.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
We had a game like this last week. But it was a varsity game. Poor school drove over an hour to get to us, and the game was over in 3 innings ( about 25 mins ). They are usually not a good team so we have a little knowledge in advance. We pitched our JV pitcher against them but even she still overpowered their lineup.

Our coach did what he could, held up runners, left base early........but really there is only so much you can do against a team like that. We did grill hotdogs and passed them out for their drive home.

I like to win more than anyone, but I always wonder how a team gets like that. I mean, I KNOW how a team gets good. ( hard work, practice ) But how does an ENTIRE team not have ANY decent players? I just don't get it. :confused:

My daughter is a 6th grader and was the starting pitcher for the largest private school in the state (of course we play our season in the "fall", more like late summer). She had lessons for about 7 months and had only played rec ball before that.

We won one game in a 21 game season (she pitched 19 of the games). That has been par for the course for 20 years. I don't think our school has been over .500 since they began playing FP. This is a school that contends for championships in every other sport and sends kids to D1 schools on scholarships in every other sport.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2012

Not sure about the size of the town or school you played, but I know rural schools go through extreme cycles, unless the hc gets ingrained into the local rec org/makes sure kids are competing outside of school ball at as high a level as possible. There is little access to quality instruction and facilities when you live an hour or two outside a metro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi