How's your HS season going?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
Me last night.- So did you get to pick a number yet, did you get 6?
DD- Yeah we got our numbers 2 weeks ago
Me- how many unis does varsity have
DD-3
Me- When do you get them
DD- 2 weeks ago

2 weeks prior
Me- How was practice
DD- Fine
Me- Anything new
DD- No...

LOL, and either late the night before or the morning of the first game, DD- I need to have my uniform washed.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
The strange weather stories reminded me of when I coached my first TB team. We practiced on a field a couple of miles out of town. One day I went straight to the field early to prep it before practice, leaving my phone in the car. I wondered where in the heck everyone was a little after practice start time so I went to get my phone to see if I had the time wrong or something. On my phone I find messages from coaches/parents/players about the cancelled practice. It seems that it was pouring rain in town, never got a drop at the field and actually got sunburned raking out the infield.

that's funny....we were just talking about how tough it would be to have to live in a small town in TN or AL....and "down south" weather forecasts calls for 40 degrees with freeze warnings....which isn't exactly Cali weather...

Here in beautiful Tennessee i just left our indoor facility where we worked pitchers and catchers. That is all we could do since there is six inches of snow here. Snow dismissed early so I cant have "practice." My varsity MS team has played five games this spring, none of them were over 50 degrees at game time and three of them finished in the upper 30's. This week has three non conference dates that will be canceled with no hope of being rescheduled.

OK I am done whining now, thanks for the opportunity to vent!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Here in beautiful Tennessee i just left our indoor facility where we worked pitchers and catchers. That is all we could do since there is six inches of snow here. Snow dismissed early so I cant have "practice." My varsity MS team has played five games this spring, none of them were over 50 degrees at game time and three of them finished in the upper 30's. This week has three non conference dates that will be canceled with no hope of being rescheduled.

I blame Global Warming!!!!!

Because we can't do anything near that here, the capital of litigation nation. You hinted at how practice is canceled if school is closed.

First, you have to use your own school facilities (and out of season the coach can't manage any practices at other facilities); second, lawsuit if parents wreck car on the way; third, lawsuit if kid breaks neck at private facility.....and so on.

The key is......VOLUNTARY pitchers and catchers (well except for DD3 who is a catcher) everytime I send a text or email to the parents on something like this it is prefaced with "if the roads are slick, don't come!"
Might not stand up in court though but I do communicate their responsibility, and that it is not required. Besides, Basketball has held mandatory practices in far worse conditions.
But I do see your point. Thanks for looking out for a naive MS coach!

Apr 11, 2012
if she's smart, she will ruin something good of yours on purpose....then she will not be 'allowed" to do anymore laundry by you....that has worked for me for almost 25 years....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad