How's your HS season going?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
It's been an interesting start to our HS season, but I'm not surprised after reading about High School softball on here. DD has practiced a lot with varsity, and the coach said he would probably move her up permantely soon. He said she would need to do something significant during a game for him to explain to the parents why he made the move.
Well, we've just had 2 injuries on JV, so we only have 10 girls, and one of those is afraid of the ball. I'm not sure how that will affect things because they are only able to play a certain number of games on both.

On varsity, before the 1st scrimage, they practiced DD exclusively in the outfield. During the game, they played her at 3rd for a couple innings and no outfield (she only touched the ball once for an out). Several of the Varsity girls never touched the field.
Second Scrimage, same thing...all outfield and then played 3rd. One ball thrown for an out.
Before the 3rd scrimage, again they worked her with the outfielders, but during the game, she never left the field but played 1st base. (She's never played first before) She told the coach she'd love to play some outfield for varsity, but he said he wants his fast girls out there- yet he knows she played outfield for her 14u A team.

She's only had 4 practices with JV and they have mainly worked her as a catcher which she hasn't done since rec ball. She doesn't mind, but they actually have an outstanding 16u A catcher on the JV team.
Come game time for JV coach says she's playing outfield because she's one of the fastest LOL(she got 3rd in time behind the catcher and centerfielder) She asked the coach if she would get some 3rd base play (her current position on her 16u team) and he said the 3rd baseman has a bad knee and can't run much, so he can't play her in outfield.
He also told her she needs to take some heat off her throws, because the girls are complaining she throws too hard. Thanks Austin!

DD is having fun with the girls but said it is just like her old rec team. It's been interesting trying to figure out what they are thinking!

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD's HS team is 12-1-1 with one more non conference game before league play. Of the 14 games played, 2 were against teams in the same division and 12 were against higher divisions, some MUCH higher. They are the favorites in the Northern Section and if all goes well they should make it to the Section Championship game for the 3rd year in a row. The last time they made it was in 2004.

The girls are getting along with the only catfight being between the starting left fielder and starting center fielder, they both want to play center field. There are no underclassmen this year for the first time in 3 years with the pitcher (DD), catcher, SS and right fielder starting at those positions since they were freshmen.

All in all it has been a great season so far. The girls are all having fun and the coach says he hasn't had a better group of girls in nearly 10 years.

Apr 25, 2010
The HS season around here starts in a couple weeks. Most schools were planning scrimmages for tomorrow, but since we got 6-8" of snow last night and it is still coming down, they all cancelled.

Apr 25, 2010
The HS season around here starts in a couple weeks. Most schools were planning scrimmages for tomorrow, but since we got 6-8" of snow last night and it is still coming down, they all cancelled.

Jul 26, 2010
DD is a freshman and made varsity. Her team played their last non-conference game yesterday for a record of 5-9. League play starts next Tuesday. DD goes to a school of about 500-600 kids, which is really tough in this area of NorCal. They've been playing the toughest teams they can (most of which have 2k kids or more) and with the exception of one very bad loss against an amazing pitcher, they've not lost by more then 3 runs. DD has pitched 5 games (mostly in tournaments, she is their #2, #1 is a senior) and came in to relieve 2 games. She has 4 wins and 1 loss. She's batting .315.

After their pre-season games, the regular season should go much better.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well what started off as once in a life time dream team is turning into "someone please wake me up from this nightmare". :)

It always amazes me how players can go all year playing soccer, basketball, volleyball, rugby, powder puff, gymnastics and be healthy as a horse. Then softball or baseball starts up and the injury list is a mile long? :confused:

Let's see, so far we've had an outfielder break a foot, our D1 SS has been out for 2 weeks with her hip ( had a dye MRI run Wednesday and gets results today ), my DD pitcher is still out of the circle from the hit to the face ( she did DH in last nights game ), our D1 ( verbal ) 3b pulled something in her lower back. What the heck!!

I keep trying to remind myself that its still early in the season, that these games don't mean squat, they're just "practice" games to get to the playoffs, everyone will be healthy by May. I say these words every morning 10x's in the mirror, you know......for therapy.

What makes it worse is the press. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the exposure, but they keep putting the team up as "team to beat" "top in division" and we got some serious injury issues. ( they neglect to mention that )
91c772c4be7d845c2f0eeca027fdbc97_zpsa8fed789.jpg
[/IMG]

^^^^ ok that's my mental state on the affairs

So I'm sitting on the couch after last nights game and ask Alex DD to please rally the troops and please tell them all to be safe maybe even not go outside unless it's for practice or a game...............she gives that look and goes to the kitchen. I hear her going thought the drawers and she comes back.

Hands me 2 aspirin and a pacifier. "Dad we're 5-1, scored 37 runs so far and given up 8, y'all ( meaning the dads ) have got to relax, we'll be ok".

And then she sent me to my room. :(

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Our HS is 1-0 and has a game today that they will play. Snow in the forcast for tomorrow and will amount to a few inches of snow. Might be a long time before they are able to play again. This has been a very atypical year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877