How we got started...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I was coaching a 12U team, and had a player that had been on the team from the start (3 seasons back), and she had fallen way behind the other players. I wanted to know how I should break the news that she didn't make the team this year. That was almost 4 years ago. Still think about that kid from time to time, and wonder if I did the right thing.
That's a hard one. I've done it many times, and it never gets easy. Still think about all of 'em.

Oct 3, 2009
Growing up in Las Vegas NV I played softball in school in the 70's but it was nothing like it is in SoCal. We didn't wear helmets or cleats or sliders. We wore gym shoes and shorts. Our pitcher threw slingshot not windmill. No one cared about girls softball except the players.
When I moved to California, got married, had kids, my son played little league baseball so my DD played baseball too until some friends told me about our local ASA softball league. I had no idea about ASA fastpitch softball until then. Then I became a crazy 8U softball mom who coached. I knew nothing about coaching kids softball but I bought a lot of books and videos and learned.
I had no idea about Allstars until the end of the first season coaching I got a call from the Board of Directors asking who I was going to nominate for the Allstar team from my 8U. I didn't even nominate my own kid because I didn't think she was good enough.
She got so offended that she started taking it seriously and practicing to be a pitcher. She wanted to be on the Allstar team the next year. SHe made it the next year as a 2nd year 8U.
SO we got heavily involved in our local league and I continued to coach. I became the Allstar coach for our 10U Gold team in DD's 2nd year of 10's. I still had never heard of travel softball until a couple of players I knew from the 12U division decided to move away from the league and go travel. I followed their success for a while and by the time DD was in 12U we were of course sick of the rec ball politics and drama over allstar selections that we took a serious look at what travel ball was all about.
Took DD to a few tryouts at the end of her first year 12U season and was AMAZED at the difference in the level of playing ability on those teams compared to rec. I thought OMG DD is way behind!!
Anyway she made a mid level team that fall and took some lumps but learned a lot.
The rest of our journey is pretty much documented on my vimeo website in the team videos posted there. But it has been a lot of fun, and effort, heartache and money. I would not trade it for the world.

You captured in more detail exactly what I meant by fast-forward. You are exactly right. You learn as you go and it just evolves with one step leading to the next step.

The one piece of advice I have learned is just enjoy the journey. And not worry so much. I look back and laugh at what I used to worry about. I wish I would have done a better job of just enjoying every moment. Maybe that is why I am getting so mushy now to make up for lost time!! :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I vividly remember folding my chair after the last game of an enjoyable rec-ball season in May and thinking: "If there were only a way to keep playing during the Summer."

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD brought home a flyer from 3rd grade about tryouts. I asked if she wanted to try and so she played and I volunteered to be the AC. The following year I got a call from a coach who had basically a town travel team that played tourneys that cost 4x more than rec. I now pay about 40x more than rec, :eek: I coached DD until she was 12 and then stepped back. We still throw almost every day in the summer and go to the field and hit. And now seeing the stack of mail from colleges I'm wondering how I can make the summers go a little slower.

Mar 28, 2013
Maybe just maybe, I would sleep in late – or plan a fancy dinner date.

Eat a homemade breakfast served at noon, get an even suntan, while listening to tunes.

Weed the yard and mow the grass, clean the gutters, save some cash.

Get the laundry done and windows clean, catch up on all the shows I haven’t seen.

Spend the day relaxing at the pool or lake, grill a massive T-bone steak.

Lounge in my favorite comfy chair, catch football GAMES playing live on air.

Plant a garden, go to the mall, finally wash my car – interior and all.

Take in a movie, train the dog, repaint the kitchen or take a jog.

Fix the wiggly toilet seat, make all the closets clean and neat.

Have a yard sale, get my oil changed, talk to my family that’s been estranged.

Drink a beer, and chill all day – grocery shop and take up crochet.

OHH to think of ALL the things I’d get done, if I wasn’t always at the ball-field having so much fun.

I may have the nicest house on the block, my fridge may be completely stocked,

I’d never be tired, would save so much gas, and would get to relax at long, long last.

But then I think of all that I would miss, the friends, the family, my daughters bliss.

The dugout cheers, the victories and FUN, the stinky socks, the feeling of a home-run.

The crack of the bat, sunrise and sunset, seeing hard work paid off with hours of sweat

The smiles on their faces, the laughter and pride, the happiness and the late night home ride.

The memories made and the time spent together, the joys and the lessons, the crazy spring weather

They’re all worthy trades for a life that may seem insane, all for the love of one simple game.

For I would trade NOTHING for the amazing treasure, of this time spent with my daughter that has no measure.

For soon she will grow up and out of her cleats, and I will be forced to pack up my folding seats.

But the memories made NOW will last forever, and I will be able to say that regrets, I felt never.

While it is true that most things in life will wait, we have but one chance to make our daughters childhood great.

So enjoy the long days spent at the field, for her youth is something that will not yield.

The luckiest parents here on Earth, are those who realize how much spending time with their children is truly worth!

Written By Stef Daniel

Copyright Softball is for Girls 2015

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
It's my younger brother's "fault..."

I'm 6 years older...they needed a rec and travel coach when he was 16 and that's how I started coaching...

Fast forward several years...we buy a house in a town with huge rec and travel programs, have 3 daughters and away we go!

Wouldn't change a thing...I'm looking forward to have at least another 9-10 years of this...DD3 is only 7 :)

CP

Apr 1, 2010
When DD was about 4, a co-worker told me about a local rec association with fun soccer instruction for the little ones. We got her into soccer. One day at the fields, I saw a sign they had put up that said signups for the t-ball season were starting up. We thought, "Sure, she can try that too."

Eventually, her rec soccer team broke up with girls heading to various competitive programs, dropping out or going to other rec teams. She wouldn't have chosen to leave her rec soccer team, but went ahead and started trying out. Didn't make the first team, did make the second.

She was playing rec softball in 8U and first year 10U, but they started doing the end of the year tourney and saw and were soundly beaten by 'real' C teams. She was becoming frustrated that her softball teammates weren't interested in improving or playing more and decided she wanted to go competitive. Went to her first tryout and made the team. We juggled competitive soccer and softball for a year at 10UB and told her she had to chose. She chose softball: never went back.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DS is younger and was doing some local 3-4 year YMCA group athletic program that had basketball, soccer and t-ball activities. He got a t-ball glove for the t-ball portion.

My DD saw it and wanted a glove (on the basis that he shouldn't have something she didn't) and we said, if you want a glove you have to play (and luckily the local rec league was signing up players for the season).

And thus the current journey began. She was barely 6 years old.

I am lucky to have a photo of her first at bat...

MaeganFirstAtBat.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06