How should DD tell coach she doesn't pitch anymore?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Whoa, you have high standards there. For me, it's anybody who isn't terrified to try to catch the ball. Actually catching it is bonus.
You could be right..all I know is DD made the cut 😂 TBH she did a lot better than I thought she would..which probably means she will be back there again next season 😒

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You could be right..all I know is DD made the cut 😂 TBH she did a lot better than I thought she would..which probably means she will be back there again next season 😒
😁 ZAP let's throw Runners out!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
🥳
It could help her batters eye seeing lots of pitches from behind the plate catching!

ZAP

Jun 8, 2016
🥳
It could help her batters eye seeing lots of pitches from behind the plate catching!

ZAP
Only if you aren’t a “glass is completely empty” guy like me 😉

Whatever..she did what was needed of her so her team would only lose by 10 instead of 15 😂

Jul 31, 2015
That is totally wrong.

BB v SB pitching is obviously different but neither is immune from bad mechanics, overuse, ignoring injuries, ETC.

Get out off the stone-age.

I usually agree with Shiloh but not on this on this one.

A 2018 survey of active players found that 26 percent of Major League pitchers and 19 percent of Minor League pitchers had undergone Tommy John surgery at some point in their careers. While the total number of Tommy John surgeries per year in adolescent pitchers is unknown, the rate of increase in the number of Tommy John surgeries each year in players aged 15-19 years has been over 9% per year.

Pitchers are able to return to baseball >70-80% of the time after Tommy John surgery.

A starting pitcher who undergoes an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction may not return to pitching 6-7 innings until 18 months or more after surgery.

Suffering another arm injury after having Tommy John Surgery is common. In one study within Major League Baseball, 28-37% of pitchers who underwent Tommy John surgery had another injury to their arm later in their career.

(source: mlb.com pitch smart)

So, MoJo, can you think of any type of surgery that ~20% of all pro/college softball pitchers have undergone? One where the act of pitching necessitates the surgery? Where the outcome is good, but not a guarantee? Where the prevalence of the corrective surgery is increasingly common? Where full recovery is measured in years? And where the risk of re-injury is about 1 in 3?

I look forward to your answer.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
A 2018 survey of active players found that 26 percent of Major League pitchers and 19 percent of Minor League pitchers had undergone Tommy John surgery at some point in their careers. While the total number of Tommy John surgeries per year in adolescent pitchers is unknown, the rate of increase in the number of Tommy John surgeries each year in players aged 15-19 years has been over 9% per year.

Pitchers are able to return to baseball >70-80% of the time after Tommy John surgery.

A starting pitcher who undergoes an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction may not return to pitching 6-7 innings until 18 months or more after surgery.

Suffering another arm injury after having Tommy John Surgery is common. In one study within Major League Baseball, 28-37% of pitchers who underwent Tommy John surgery had another injury to their arm later in their career.

So, MoJo, can you think of any type of surgery that ~20% of all pro/college softball pitchers have undergone? One where the act of pitching necessitates the surgery? Where the outcome is good, but not a guarantee? Where the prevalence of the corrective surgery is increasingly common? Where full recovery is measured in years? And where the risk of re-injury is about 1 in 3?

Did you look at the article that talked about the high increase of athletic participation?
Includes comments of the amount of surgeries that have being produced overall in sports has risen tremendously it's in the other thread
Risk of injury comparison underhand to overhand pitching?

Simply saying
Can't just look at one thing and say that one thing is out of proportion.
Have to look at the parameters.

Also many youth are starting at a far earlier age and specializing earlier than they did years ago. Really have to look at a lot to make a comparison. Especially how surgeries now are in and out surgeries and athletes get back on the field much quicker. Some of those adult MLB surgeries are to keep players playing longer. That is part of their job choice. Also pushing limits now Quite Possibly Makes surgery an option to push further because for some view it as an option.

ACL surgery injuries and use has grown 148% in 10years.

Here's another example hip replacement surgeries are far more common and have been on the rise every year in the past 10 years

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015
Did you look at the article that talked about the high increase of athletic participation?
Includes comments of the amount of surgeries that have being produced overall in sports has risen tremendously it's in the other thread
Risk of injury comparison underhand to overhand pitching?

Simply saying
Can't just look at one thing and say that one thing is out of proportion.
Have to look at the parameters.

Also many youth are starting at a far earlier age and specializing earlier than they did years ago. Really have to look at a lot to make a comparison. Especially how surgeries now are in and out surgeries and athletes get back on the field much quicker. Some of those adult MLB surgeries are to keep players playing longer. That is part of their job choice. Also pushing limits now Quite Possibly Makes surgery an option to push further because for some view it as an option.

ACL surgery injuries and use has grown 148% in 10years.

Here's another example hip replacement surgeries are far more common and have been on the rise every year in the past 10 years

Thanks.
I just read the article and while it's good info, I'm not sure how it's relevant.
Sure, earlier specialization and a year-round single sport focus and travel puts more kids at risk of injury.

But that says nothing about the specifics of baseball vs softball pitching injuries.

(Funny, I read this article yesterday, which talks about how participation in youth sports overall is declining.)

What I'm saying is there's no softball equivalent to the ~20% of professional baseball pitchers and to the 9% annual growth in 15-18 yo baseball pitchers who undergo TJ surgery each year. Both groups are seeking relief from the pain and disability associated with damage to their UCL, whose proximal cause is repeatedly throwing a baseball overhand as hard as possible off a 9" high mound of dirt.

Mar 20, 2015
Softball doesn't have the equivalent of MLB. Players get a serious injury they quit the sport.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
it has nothing to do with you as parents as far as making the decision. either your DD wants to pitch and does the things necessary to be successful or she doesn't. she needs to make the choice now, yes or no, and then move on accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish