How should DD tell coach she doesn't pitch anymore?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
DD was a pitcher but second year 12U stopped pitching for travel. She would warm up over the winter to be ready to pitch for school. She pitched for middle school b/c she enjoys it and was good enough to get the win. Then last year, as a freshman, she made Varsity and the coach barely used her so DD is not warming up this winter in preparation for 2022 - it's a lot of work (and expense) to not use it. This coming spring we have a new HC who probably saw DD on the roster as a pitcher. I reached out months ago and let her know DD wasn't used last year so isn't warming up this winter and if she planned on pitching DD to let her know so she can warm up and be ready. Coach said she would be reaching out to players and parents to introduce herself and say something at that time, but never emailed players/parents. I am afraid coach will throw her in the circle (like they did to the pitcher they used last year-who also hasn't pitched since 12 or 14U and had no prep time). It will be 10 months since DD threw a ball come the 2022 season. DD will not be prepared and will not want to do it but being a team player who does what her coach tells her this will be very difficult. I am worried if they try to use her with no winter warm up she'll get injured. How would you handle this situation (other than working on pitching over the winter just in case)? TIA

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD will not be prepared and will not want to do it but being a team player who does what her coach tells her this will be very difficult.
She doesnt want to pitch.
But will pitch if the coach wants her to? Yes or no?
But even though she will pitch if the coach asked her to she's not preparing herself just in case.
I am worried if they try to use her with no winter warm up she'll get injured. How would you handle this situation (other than working on pitching over the winter just in case)? TIA
this is peculiar... if you don't want to plan ahead.

Just say no then.

Otherwise if you're going to make the decision to pitch you either do something about it or suffer the perhaps consequences.

Perhaps you're 'questioning concerned if' post is unnecessary because the coach already got your message and you'll find out when the season starts. Either way the situation fall on you making a decision.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
Thanks RAD, Yes if the coach told her to be ready to pitch she would be warming up. Not wasting all that time and money, just in case, after getting 3-4 innings last year. If she tries to just throw her in the circle it'll be a no. I was hoping someone had experience telling a coach no. DD (or us parents) have never done it and I was looking for guidance on what worked and what didn't. But I guess it all depends and there isn't any sure way to handle this situation. Guess we'll see come spring...

Jul 31, 2015
To recap:

- DD was a 12U pitcher who decided to stop pitching for TB
- DD continued to pitch for her MS team because it was fun and she got wins
- DD made varsity as a freshman, but barely pitched
- DD is now a sophomore, and there's a new varsity HC
- Mom/Dad think new HS HC might want DD to pitch but believe that without expensive lessons and practice over the winter DD won't do well
- HC won't give a straight answer about her/his plans for the spring
- DD wants to be seen as a team player and so, presumably, is open to pitch if asked

If you remove the parent's anxiety over DD's performance in the circle, the whole problem goes away.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
To recap:

- DD was a 12U pitcher who decided to stop pitching for TB
- DD continued to pitch for her MS team because it was fun and she got wins
- DD made varsity as a freshman, but barely pitched
- DD is now a sophomore, and there's a new varsity HC
- Mom/Dad think new HS HC might want DD to pitch but believe that without expensive lessons and practice over the winter DD won't do well
- HC won't give a straight answer about her/his plans for the spring

If you remove the anxiety over DD's performance in the circle, the whole problem goes away.
Yes to all except Mom/Dad sentence. We are not concerned she won't do well. We are concerned that she will be filled with anxiety over not being prepared (she's an A-type over-thinker, over-planner) and we are concerned by not being prepared she could get injured.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks RAD, Yes if the coach told her to be ready to pitch she would be warming up. Not wasting all that time and money, just in case, after getting 3-4 innings last year. If she tries to just throw her in the circle it'll be a no. I was hoping someone had experience telling a coach no. DD (or us parents) have never done it and I was looking for guidance on what worked and what didn't. But I guess it all depends and there isn't any sure way to handle this situation. Guess we'll see come spring...
Well it does look like you/dd made your decision which I think is the important part. It's nice though that you're concerned with what the coach's expectations may be of her. But you sending an email was a step ahead & heads up for the coach. That communications a good thing on your part. Enjoy the season

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have been on Teams where we kind of forced players to P because we only had 1 P. If the Team has other pitchers, do not have to be as good as your DD, have your DD just say No.

Oct 26, 2019
Yes to all except Mom/Dad sentence. We are not concerned she won't do well. We are concerned that she will be filled with anxiety over not being prepared (she's an A-type over-thinker, over-planner) and we are concerned by not being prepared she could get injured.
I don’t think you have to worry about her getting hurt if she only throws a few innings. Plus if she throws poorly she most likely won’t throw anymore anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish