How should DD tell coach she doesn't pitch anymore?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
There is nothing in women's professional softball that is comparable to major league professional baseball.
MLB has money. Which is a motivation driver for athletes to keep performing. Get paid while they're getting surgery. The other aspect is calling it the show the glitz and glamour of being in it. Without money women's professional softball won't go anywhere. Those players have to work their own jobs to try and play.

getting paid for HS baseball - ?

the glitz and glamour of college baseball ?

Yes there is not enough support or funding for pro softball.

Thanks.

Jun 8, 2016

Thanks.
The possibility of a big payday in baseball could be a driver as well as the fact that it seems like some of these kids come back throwing harder after they get the surgery 🤣

Mar 10, 2020

Thanks.
Can see how you make up your own hogwash out of other post.
Obviously you are out of touch with competitive nature of college baseball also. You're welcome.

Jul 31, 2015
The possibility of a big payday in baseball could be a driver as well as the fact that it seems like some of these kids come back throwing harder after they get the surgery 🤣

No doubt the prospect of the pot of gold pushes many pitchers to try to extend their useful life through surgery.

Isn't all surgery just 'extending the useful life' - ?
:unsure: ;)

Jul 31, 2015
You were comparing a womens pro paycheck of $6000 to a
Minimum mlb paycheck of $570,000 a year.
Yeah would say there is a reason to try and extend playing a few years.

Got it. Makes total sense - softball pitchers aren't getting arm injuries at the same rate as baseball pitchers because they will earn less if they turn pro.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
DD was a pitcher but second year 12U stopped pitching for travel. She would warm up over the winter to be ready to pitch for school. She pitched for middle school b/c she enjoys it and was good enough to get the win. Then last year, as a freshman, she made Varsity and the coach barely used her so DD is not warming up this winter in preparation for 2022 - it's a lot of work (and expense) to not use it. This coming spring we have a new HC who probably saw DD on the roster as a pitcher. I reached out months ago and let her know DD wasn't used last year so isn't warming up this winter and if she planned on pitching DD to let her know so she can warm up and be ready. Coach said she would be reaching out to players and parents to introduce herself and say something at that time, but never emailed players/parents. I am afraid coach will throw her in the circle (like they did to the pitcher they used last year-who also hasn't pitched since 12 or 14U and had no prep time). It will be 10 months since DD threw a ball come the 2022 season. DD will not be prepared and will not want to do it but being a team player who does what her coach tells her this will be very difficult. I am worried if they try to use her with no winter warm up she'll get injured. How would you handle this situation (other than working on pitching over the winter just in case)? TIA
I am not saying this is you or your daughter's situation. but did have a player who didn't want to pitch.

I coached JV HS and Travel. In HS I had a season where I only had one pitcher with real game-time experience in the circle, and she didn't want to pitch. She wanted to play first base. Her parents called me, emailed me, complained to the AD.

Travel, you try and go to teams that fit your desired position...high school not so much. You have such a wide range of skill levels, you have to do what you can to fill the positions. Sometimes "little sally" has to play in a position they are not comfortable with. Welcome to the real world.

I tried to explain to the parents, in high school you play where needed, and I couldn't go the entire season without her pitching in most of the games, or at least part of most games. Father said he would let his daughter quit. We talked about that, and I expressed my opinion on why that was a bad idea, but it was his daughter. I told him I would use other players who were willing to step up and do what was needed, but "little sally" was pitching when the situation called for it.

It was rough at times. In one game the better more experienced "primary pitcher" refused to take the circle when the much less experienced pitcher was getting rocked. The "primary pitcher" rode the bench the next game. The parents were not happy and were in my ear again.

The next game that she started was in the circle, and I can't prove it, but I think she purposely did poorly. I pulled her when she walked six in a row in inning one. Again... the phone rings and text messages start coming in. I quit replying and said if you have any issues take it to the AD.

Players need to adjust both mentally and physically. I'm kind of old school. Unless there is a legit safety risk, you do what is needed for the team. Life can be uncomfortable at times. these are 15-17 year-old young ladies, not little girls. That particular player transferred to another school and played one more season.

Had something similar with a parent whose daughter was a catcher, which was always her primary and desired position. The season is about to begin, and suddenly, "little sally" is no longer a catcher, she's a corner. WTH? I explained, we only have two catchers. Sorry. She's a catcher, she won't catch every game and will play other positions but both catchers were close in skills and will share the time. Parents went to AD. AD said it's the coach's call. That was last year as a head coach. Hung up my hat. That team is still looking for a head coach to run the team.

If I was coaching your daughter, I would simply ask her to practice pitching at the team practices. Throwing bullpens, and throwing during live batting practice. If she can, maybe a couple of private lessons, during the season, or at least work at home on her basics once a week. As long is she doing her best, you can't ask for more. Some days will be better than others, and I wouldn't leave her in the circle if she was getting hit hard or walking batters. Sometimes the bad days will be on her, and sometimes it will be on the defense. For some pitchers, it's much more frustrating for them when the defense isn't on their "A"game, and gives up "hits" that's should have been outs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish