How fast is fast(running)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2012
What would be considered a fast 60' time? In 10u? In say high school ball? I have heard that a 2.8 would be considered fast but I watched a girl run it in 3.4 and considered her to be rolling!! So from a dead stop to 60', what is fast? Average?

Oct 10, 2011
test results

You can see what times these older girls got. We had 3 girls attend and everyone of them posted their fastest time ever, so keep that in mind. They may be on the low side. Also, it always makes me laugh when some say how fast their DD's times are, and they are in Olympic runner times. .. so keep that in mind too:)
https://nfca.org/index.php/recruiting-camps/2013-recruiting-camp-results/5305-pennsbury-grip-agility-speed-velocity

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
3.4 is slow IMO for high school but probably about average on a less competitive team. At 12U I have 3 girls that run 3.2 or faster with the fastest being 3.00 and majority are around 3.4-3.6. 10U the average is probably 3.5 as my fastest 12U is only 6 months removed from 10U and runs 3.00.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
The fastest girl on my 12U team runs the 60' in 3.14 seconds. My 18U daughter is one of the fastest on her team and does it in 2.9. Both times were recorded with a full swinging start (not from a sprint position).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Since there is no standard way of timing this, because 'timing' is an inexact science (and people fudge the numbers all the time) and because 99.99% of people are not very good at using a stopwatch - fast still remains an eye test unless you are comparing only to girls tested in the exact same conditions on the same day by the same person.

We play regularly against a girl who is lightning fast down the line but has such a long swing she leaves the box a lot later than others and gets out ALL the time by a step (and everyone wonders why that happens to her every game).

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
While all good points i would argue that depending on why you're asking "What fast is" time does matter. The times i gave are electric timed indoors from a sprinters start at a college camp. If you are asking for the purpose of what a college looks for then yes the actual time is important when they are reading about your player. The eye test is important when they are actually there. In a lot of cases you need to have verified times on paper in order to get to the eye test portion. Really speed is deceptive, you know which girls you would send on the first pitch everytime and which ones you need a ball to go to the backstop to advance. We time our girls several times during the year and radar pitching. It's just so we have an idea.

May 31, 2012
Timed an 11 yo kid cpl days ago. Contact to first 3.2. She was probably the fastest kid in the 12 u tournament.

What would be considered a fast 60' time? In 10u? In say high school ball? I have heard that a 2.8 would be considered fast but I watched a girl run it in 3.4 and considered her to be rolling!! So from a dead stop to 60', what is fast? Average?

A fast 60' time from a standing start would be around 2.9 - 3.0 my DD is 3 flat confirmed by a D1 college coach from a standing start. She is 2.8 slapping (timed from when ball hits bat to touching 1st base) 10U I would say somewhere in the 3.2-3.4 range but just a guess