HOW do you Teach TILT!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
Again--you are worried about some pre-set notion of "form" over function...

Actually, it's a question of leverage.

When the hands get behind the back elbow, the hitter runs the risk of losing leverage. Some very strong hitters can still hold their swings together when the hands get (a bit) behind the back elbow, but most can't.

Oct 6, 2011
Actually, it's a question of leverage.

When the hands get behind the back elbow, the hitter runs the risk of losing leverage. Some very strong hitters can still hold their swings together when the hands get (a bit) behind the back elbow, but most can't.

No worries man--we see the swing very differently...Throwers do not position the elbow behind the ball for "leverage?????"

Keeping the barrel over the hands does keep the bat "relatively" lighter/easier to control for a shorter/lighter path for the barrel to travel and helps to prevent premature extension @ the back elbow.

Please, waste no more time on me and happily go about your business..

May 14, 2008
If you take a look at post 15 where CY posted the no audio back leg video there are many hitters to watch so you can judge for yourself whether the elbow leads the hands or the hands lead the elbow.As previously mentioned,I see a variety.What do you see?

Oct 25, 2009
The elbow in the most recent video never gets close to leading the hands. That is the way I'm thinking is the correct way, right?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2011
If you take a look at post 15 where CY posted the no audio back leg video there are many hitters to watch so you can judge for yourself whether the elbow leads the hands or the hands lead the elbow.As previously mentioned,I see a variety.What do you see?

This is correct Towsen..

The important thing is a quality throwing action with the back-arm w/ bent elbow and resisting going palm-up (resisting top-hand supination) as the elbow slots to the ball (aka humerus EXternally rotates and ADDucts)...

so as the humerus rotates outward as it slots the top-hand must resist "going-with" it....

Oct 6, 2011
This is correct Towsen..

The important thing is a quality throwing action with the back-arm w/ bent elbow and resisting going palm-up (resisting top-hand supination) as the elbow slots to the ball (aka humerus EXternally rotates and ADDucts)...

so as the humerus rotates outward as it slots the top-hand must resist "going-with" it....

Body-type often plays a role as your "lanky" players like Will Clark and Ken Griffey Jr. tend to display more elbow leading hands than "bulkier" players..

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
So we all agree to refrain from telling players "Don't let your elbow lead your hands...ever" Right? We all agree to allow the elbow to slot into position to "throw" the barrel... Right?

Let the elbow do it's thing just as it would if you were using a hammer, an axe, a golf club, a bullwhip, a sledge, etc.

If you don't want to teach the players to lead with that elbow, fine... Just don't tell them that they shouldn't lead with it. Don't even bring the elbow up at all. That's better than creating a "push" swing for innocent, unsuspecting players that will listen to poor instruction.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
So we all agree to refrain from telling players "Don't let your elbow lead your hands...ever" Right? We all agree to allow the elbow to slot into position to "throw" the barrel... Right?

Let the elbow do it's thing just as it would if you were using a hammer, an axe, a golf club, a bullwhip, a sledge, etc.

Makes sense to me.

R

RayR

Exactly my thoughts....I am probably more sensitive to this because I have been down the connection/rotation road....the elbow should lead/slot naturally....if the hands keep the barrel in place above the hands as this happens all will be fine....if the hands let the barrel drop to the ground as the elbow slots then you probably will deal with bat drag....

If a player has the classic bat drag - teach them how to correctly keep the barrel in place using the hands....I am against (and will point out bad advice) having a player place against the side of the arm and turn to hit a ball unless it is a last resort....like a kid in HS that is fighting for her last chance to play....

If you don't want to teach the players to lead with that elbow, fine... Just don't tell them that they shouldn't lead with it. Don't even bring the elbow up at all. That's better than creating a "push" swing for innocent, unsuspecting players that will listen to poor instruction.

Been saying this about the difference in body types between men and women for a while now...

Body-type often plays a role as your "lanky" players like Will Clark and Ken Griffey Jr. tend to display more elbow leading hands than "bulkier" players..

f3x1c3.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00