HOW do you Teach TILT!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Personal attacks? I don't know the man. I respond to things he posts on this and other boards....but I actually agree with you....I do try to add substance to my posts, but, hey, we all get worked up over this stuff, don't we :)

Whether anyone is wrong or right gets overshadowed when personal attacks are made.

Everyone can learn something when it's discussed enough. It's alright not to agree. Everyone will decide for themselves what does or doesn't work. I just saw an awful swing by one of the Tigers put one over the fence. Not Cabrera's.

Jan 25, 2011
Okay,I'am going to say it.To all you experts on this forum.I'am a just a parent,I post video's of my daughter hitting for feedback posative or negative.I do enjoy the video's of some of the top hitters in baseball and softball,but show us the normal kids that you work with.Show me that you know what you are talking about and doing the thing that you preach.The Dr. got all defensive when I said that I didn't like the girls swing that he posted,then tried to lump me in with the squish the bug people with out even knowing a thing about my daughter's swing.The video he posted doesn't even show her swing in full speed,just bits and pieces.Sorry Dr. I'am throwing you under the bus,but at least he did have one normal player on video,what about the rest of you?It is time you post some videos of your students.Show us where they started and how you are making them better.A picture is worth a thousand words,or video in this case!

Oct 12, 2009
So we all agree to refrain from telling players "Don't let your elbow lead your hands...ever" Right? We all agree to allow the elbow to slot into position to "throw" the barrel... Right?

Let the elbow do it's thing just as it would if you were using a hammer, an axe, a golf club, a bullwhip, a sledge, etc.

If you don't want to teach the players to lead with that elbow, fine... Just don't tell them that they shouldn't lead with it. Don't even bring the elbow up at all. That's better than creating a "push" swing for innocent, unsuspecting players that will listen to poor instruction.

I would NEVER tell a hitter to lead with their elbow.

Jan 24, 2011
Okay,I'am going to say it.To all you experts on this forum.I'am a just a parent,I post video's of my daughter hitting for feedback posative or negative.I do enjoy the video's of some of the top hitters in baseball and softball,but show us the normal kids that you work with.Show me that you know what you are talking about and doing the thing that you preach.The Dr. got all defensive when I said that I didn't like the girls swing that he posted,then tried to lump me in with the squish the bug people with out even knowing a thing about my daughter's swing.The video he posted doesn't even show her swing in full speed,just bits and pieces.Sorry Dr. I'am throwing you under the bus,but at least he did have one normal player on video,what about the rest of you?It is time you post some videos of your students.Show us where they started and how you are making them better.A picture is worth a thousand words,or video in this case!

This has been my problem with this forum. There are tons of videos of elite players , but none showing the progress of a normal 12 - 18 year old player. Mostly all I see are these "experts" just using someone else's theories and studies to try and invent their own. Anybody can sit around and find a video of a player that conforms to whatever they may be pushing as correct at the moment , but there is no one particular method that works for every player. So , some of these arguments are just plain ridiculous. I see some videos of regular kids posted on here (some really good , some really bad) , and always their are about 10 things that different people "say" need to be fixed. Those swings couldnt possibly have that many things wrong at one time.

Jan 25, 2011
Let me make some clarification about my most resent post.When I said some thing about the DR. it was meant to be in past tense with his regards.The Dr. at least put a video of his student,he is one of the first pro. batting coach on this site in awhile to post a student video.I would like to see more of the paid batting coaches to use your students videos.Sorry dr. it wasn't meant to dime you out.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Let me make some clarification about my most resent post.When I said some thing about the DR. it was meant to be in past tense with his regards.The Dr. at least put a video of his student,he is one of the first pro. batting coach on this site in awhile to post a student video.I would like to see more of the paid batting coaches to use your students videos.Sorry dr. it wasn't meant to dime you out.

Nano ... if I recall from your post ... you preferred the spin-type action of the 'before' hitter. I was scratching my head ... because it appeared that you didn't notice the "under the hood" improvements that were made ... and the thought from my perspective was that you didn't personally have a progressive approach, or understanding, of how to address swing issues. Your post, IMO, reflected poorly on 'you', and not on 'Doc'. You had a golden opportunity to learn something ... and IMO you blew it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Exactly my thoughts....I am probably more sensitive to this because I have been down the connection/rotation road....the elbow should lead/slot naturally....if the hands keep the barrel in place above the hands as this happens all will be fine....if the hands let the barrel drop to the ground as the elbow slots then you probably will deal with bat drag....

If a player has the classic bat drag - teach them how to correctly keep the barrel in place using the hands....I am against (and will point out bad advice) having a player place against the side of the arm and turn to hit a ball unless it is a last resort....like a kid in HS that is fighting for her last chance to play....

When I think back to that deltoid drill swing that was pawned off as a swing fix for a bat drag issue .... weellllll, I laugh .... and I laugh hard. You have to understand ... from the perspective of some of us ... it was down right funny. So much for having a throwing mentality.

Oct 25, 2009
There ARE some experts on here, several of whom I have noted in the past. They have given some good advice when various posters put their players up for critique. When one asks for advice on here there is no doubt they're going to get it. That's great!

As far as posting video of their students I doubt that will happen too often. Liability issues make that highly unlikely. Using models to get their ideas across works just fine.

The advice and discussions on here are free. They don't come with guarantees. I try to take what information is available and learn from it. I even throw out my own advice from time to time; and I appreciate the feedback I get, whether positive or negative.

This forum is the best I have found. One should keep in mind that written communication is different than being there in person. The tone one places on the message, or the messenger, may not be the tone of the message at all. Keep an open mind. Be careful how you interpret the tone of a post.

There are some experts on here, without doubt, but I believe most on here will agree we are all still learning.

Jan 24, 2011
There ARE some experts on here, several of whom I have noted in the past. They have given some good advice when various posters put their players up for critique. When one asks for advice on here there is no doubt they're going to get it. That's great!

As far as posting video of their students I doubt that will happen too often. Liability issues make that highly unlikely. Using models to get their ideas across works just fine.

The advice and discussions on here are free. They don't come with guarantees. I try to take what information is available and learn from it. I even throw out my own advice from time to time; and I appreciate the feedback I get, whether positive or negative.

This forum is the best I have found. One should keep in mind that written communication is different than being there in person. The tone one places on the message, or the messenger, may not be the tone of the message at all. Keep an open mind. Be careful how you interpret the tone of a post.

There are some experts on here, without doubt, but I believe most on here will agree we are all still learning.

I HIGHLY doubt that this would be the reason they wouldnt post videos. I believe they dont post those videos because they are afraid that their methods and hitters will be picked apart just as they do to the others. They wont have an elite hitter's video to hide behind anymore,

Oct 12, 2009
I HIGHLY doubt that this would be the reason they wouldnt post videos. I believe they dont post those videos because they are afraid that their methods and hitters will be picked apart just as they do to the others. They wont have an elite hitter's video to hide behind anymore,

The issue is bogus criticisms that I am unaffected by and unwilling to waste further time answering.

I use a customized variant of deltoid drill as a tool because it helps you work on something that you see in the swings of Caitlin Benyi, George Brett, Paul Molitor, and others.

Caitlinside.gif

brettnd6.gif

molitor.gif

pcr1.gif

The fact that people would (try) to criticize the swings of great hitters like Benyi, Brett, and Molitor says that any conversation with them is simply pointless.

P.S. I'd be willing to bet that George Brett was Benyi's dad's favorite hitter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole