HOW do you Teach TILT!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Nano ... if I recall from your post ... you preferred the spin-type action of the 'before' hitter. I was scratching my head ... because it appeared that you didn't notice the "under the hood" improvements that were made ... and the thought from my perspective was that you didn't personally have a progressive approach, or understanding, of how to address swing issues. Your post, IMO, reflected poorly on 'you', and not on 'Doc'. You had a golden opportunity to learn something ... and IMO you blew it.
personally what I didn't like where her hands were at contact,it looked to me that they where late to the ball and that left me with the impression that she was leaving some energy behind.I don't teach my daughter the spin type action as you are saying that I advicate. I would love to learn more form you too,but I have not seen any of your students,to,see what you teach.I have always listened to what you have said and for that I'am greatful for the insight.But what I'am saying now is the proof of all of you, needs to be shown.That means you,o'leary, and all the experts on hitting that give advice.The Dr. has posted a student so he all ready posted more then most,that I have seen on this site.I have learned some thing from the Dr.'s many post.

Oct 25, 2009
I HIGHLY doubt that this would be the reason they wouldnt post videos. I believe they dont post those videos because they are afraid that their methods and hitters will be picked apart just as they do to the others. They wont have an elite hitter's video to hide behind anymore,

And that's another good reason. There are people who would pick a player apart just because. Some people don't get it why models are used to "pick apart" their swings. When using it for constructive criticism it's valuable. When using it to take cheap shots, that's cheap.

You can view it any way you like, but if you're here to learn there's really only one way to view it, as a learning opportunity.

What real purpose would posting their students serve?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
personally what I didn't like where her hands were at contact,it looked to me that they where late to the ball and that left me with the impression that she was leaving some energy behind.I don't teach my daughter the spin type action as you are saying that I advicate. I would love to learn more form you too,but I have not seen any of your students,to,see what you teach.I have always listened to what you have said and for that I'am greatful for the insight.But what I'am saying now is the proof of all of you, needs to be shown.That means you,o'leary, and all the experts on hitting that give advice.The Dr. has posted a student so he all ready posted more then most,that I have seen on this site.I have learned some thing from the Dr.'s many post.

Nano ... I work with hitters almost daily ... and you are welcome to visit and observe. Outside of that invite ... I don't feel a need to prove anything to you. You are free to ignore anything and everything. Personally ... I think you would be well served to adopt the Hanson Principle AND to swing on a regular basis as you work with various "actions under the hood" .... and if you extended that effort, then the confirmation you seek will be largely addressed.

Oct 25, 2009
The issue is bogus criticisms that I am unaffected by and unwilling to waste further time answering.

I use a customized variant of deltoid drill as a tool because it helps you work on something that you see in the swings of Caitlin Benyi, George Brett, Paul Molitor, and others.

Caitlinside.gif

brettnd6.gif

molitor.gif

pcr1.gif

The fact that people would (try) to criticize the swings of great hitters like Benyi, Brett, and Molitor says that any conversation with them is simply pointless.

P.S. I'd be willing to bet that George Brett was Benyi's dad's favorite hitter.

There are many "tools" used for instruction that people disagree with. Some examples, side toss, fence drill, check-swing drill, basketball drill, machine pitch, drop toss, and on and on. I've even had kids intentionally make bad swings when trying to communicate with them.

It's all good. We're never all going to agree. Sometimes I'm convinced, sometimes I'm not, but I'm going to always try to listen.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Nano … you told Doc he was wrong … and you said he had his hitter losing a lot of energy in their new swing … and you totally missed the important synchronization of the lower body usage that he was addressing and didn't comprehend it's importance in powering the swing. He was working on the 'base' of the swing, as a power source, and in synchronizing it with the swing … and that point seemed to go over some people’s heads. Personally I felt you should have asked how he achieved that significant improvement … and make no mistake about it, it was a significant improvement. But what the heck ... it went over your head and rather than use the opportunity to learn, you insulted the guy ... and let me tell you, he was being overly kind, as he could easily tear your understanding of the swing to shreds if he wished to.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I can only speak for myself and my at the time 12yr old DD. The deltoid drill was what I heard or learned about on this site.I used it in desperation because it was the middle of the season and my DD couldn't hit a pitched beachball.I didn't want to change her swing during the season.It saved her season and allowed her to start hitting the ball again,better than she has ever hit the ball.I knew it was a quick fix and not how I wanted her to swing.We will correct or try to correct her swing during the fall/winter.I was a dad that seen his DD in trouble and was desperate. Thanks to the great posters on this site was helped out.I was instructed that this was only a quick fix and not the proper way to fix the problem.

Jan 25, 2011
Nano ... I work with hitters almost daily ... and you are welcome to visit and observe. Outside of that invite ... I don't feel a need to prove anything to you. You are free to ignore anything and everything. Personally ... I think you would be well served to adopt the Hanson Principle AND to swing on a regular basis as you work with various "actions under the hood" .... and if you extended that effort, then the confirmation you seek will be largely addressed.
well,I only work with one hitter daily,and if you think I'am asking you to prove what you teach ,then you are compeletly wrong with what I was saying.I wanted to see videos of your students,to see if what you guys go thru is the same things some of us SEE that don't have BC in are area.I do go by the Hanson Principle.Listen I live in a small town in Pa. there really aren't in BC only one facility in the area and the BC my dd was learning from had to get a better job,he has student loans to pay for,so his time became limited.So I had to take over, you even have looked at my dd's batting videos and had comments good and bad,I listened and learned and thanked you for them.So as far as extending the effort....give me freaking break

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Okay,I'am going to say it.To all you experts on this forum.I'am a just a parent,I post video's of my daughter hitting for feedback posative or negative.I do enjoy the video's of some of the top hitters in baseball and softball,but show us the normal kids that you work with.Show me that you know what you are talking about and doing the thing that you preach.The Dr. got all defensive when I said that I didn't like the girls swing that he posted,then tried to lump me in with the squish the bug people with out even knowing a thing about my daughter's swing.The video he posted doesn't even show her swing in full speed,just bits and pieces.Sorry Dr. I'am throwing you under the bus,but at least he did have one normal player on video,what about the rest of you?It is time you post some videos of your students.Show us where they started and how you are making them better.A picture is worth a thousand words,or video in this case!

Well I think your response to the Dr is a good example of why someone might not post videos. They get judged by the in-progress results, which is not fair.

Like you said, the Dr at least posted one, and I thought the response was going to be a round of applause, and instead he got grief.

But you make some good points here. Anyone can give a hip coil/uncoil speech in response to a help my DD post, and put up some vids of pro and collegiate hitters.

Most of us moms and dads who've been reading this forum for a while probably have formed some ideas of mechanics. The tricky part is a methodology for building a hitter. What to work on when, and how to get ideas through to kids. And the methodology might be different for a parent, a coach, and a personal hitting instructor.

Apr 27, 2011
So how do you guys explain yourself to a 10 year old or a single parent(without a clue) that wants to work with their kid at home. I know you guys aren't using all of this scientific lingo with your students, because there would be little comprehension and a very short attention span. Regardless of the elbow or the hands leading what should I teach my kid about her hand path to the ball. I heard Albert P. say he takes his hands to the ball. Also curious if I am wrong telling her to open with her hips while staying closed with her shoulders while going through bat lag(just doesn't seem they should open together).

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Filthy all I can give is my 2 cents, I am a parent (young age coach too) and not an instructor.

Never skip the grip, stance and setup. Many times I see girls given instruction downstream of the stance and the stance very often is not correct.

But, if you have these 3 things, you are a moment before heal plant and swing initiation. IMO, and I could be completely wrong, we think too much about hands, hand path, keeping elbow high etc.

This is a good thread to mention hand path, because we can't really say "regardless of elbow". The key to swing initiation is turning of the hip before the shoulders like you say. The front hand does virtually nothing. The back hand does virtually nothing, but it is key to slot the elbow. The elbow comes down near the back hip.

Do this yourself slowly without a bat. You can now see without the hands really doing much of anything they have been brought to up near the belly button. Assuming the hands were away from the body and you got good separation, the supposed hand path problem has largely gone away.

At this point you simply hit the ball. Or think barrel to the ball if that is better.

Does this make sense or is it still too much mumbo jumbo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball