How do slappers avoid tight pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2009
In an unfortunate incident this weekend, a left handed slapper was hit on the right wrist by a pitch.

We teach a still batter to turn into the the plate to cover the wrist, fingers and face and take a pitch on the back or shoulder. This doesn't work with a batter whose momentum is carrying them towards the pitcher as she steps forward. How do I help these ladies avoid getting hit by a pitch without exposing the chin, fingers or wrists?

Her season is over for this year, but I need to teach her and others for coming years.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I see girls (and boys) wrapping their full hand around the bat, when they bunt. It gives me chills. (I am not saying that is what she did.)

The fingers should be shielded by the bat. I hold the barrel of it between a bent finger and thumb. My wrist is behind the bat.

The hand slides up to where the barrel of the bat begins and you teach them to make contact with the sweet spot. Also, bat angle would help protect her.

I am guessing that she is young and just hasn't had enough experience. How old is she?

Sep 17, 2009
My younger daughter had a coach last year that had them (at 10U) lay their hand flat behind the bat. I think he did it in part to simulate "catching" the ball with the bat (he started them on pitching machines catching balls in bunting position with a glove.

I never liked it but some of the kids seemed to have success but I don't see how you could do this at a more advanced level...

Jan 13, 2009
Not the case at all. Experienced slapper.

She was attempting a power slap on an inside pitch.

This was a curve ball that moved too far in and as she turned away to avoid the contact, her body turned towards the first base side, exposing her hands and wrists.

Jan 15, 2009
Since their momentum is turning towards 1st I'd suggest completing the turn to get the hands out of harms way rather than trying to reverse course.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hopefully, it was a freak thing. I guess she could wear a wrist guard, but it may never happen again.

My best wishes for her full recovery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom