Let’s talk about "machine pitch-able" balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Don't know much about the internal structure of either mp balls or regular softballs but I would guess mp balls have very little density variation internally (e.g. think solid material) whereas regular softballs would have a density variation. This difference could have an effect on how they are compressed and hence the impact forces. Just a guess.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Don't know much about the internal structure of either mp balls or regular softballs but I would guess mp balls have very little density variation internally (e.g. think solid material) whereas regular softballs would have a density variation. This difference could have an effect on how they are compressed and hence the impact forces. Just a guess.
No charts or graphs?? Sorry Westwind!

Jun 8, 2016
No charts or graphs?? Sorry Westwind!
Jeesh.

From this paper (which compared mp baseballs to regular baseballs):

"The elastomeric foam ball types were substantially lower compression compared with standard
collegiate baseballs. Impact characterization studies on the polymeric foam balls indicated that the
polymeric foam balls were softer not only under quasi-static compression test but also under dynamic
conditions. These compression tests and DS tests were partially performed to investigate the potential
for the batting cage baseballs to contribute to the denting of bats. Both the quasi-static and dynamic
tests indicate that the batting cage baseballs are substantially softer than regulations collegiate
baseballs. Hence, the baseballs should have less ability to dent bats compared with standard
regulation bats.
"

The last word is a missprint (damn authors) based upon their other conclusions and should read baseballs...

So who knows...softballs have lower compression than baseballs so maybe for softballs mp balls are worse.

Jan 8, 2019
Jeesh.

From this paper (which compared mp baseballs to regular baseballs):

"The elastomeric foam ball types were substantially lower compression compared with standard
collegiate baseballs. Impact characterization studies on the polymeric foam balls indicated that the
polymeric foam balls were softer not only under quasi-static compression test but also under dynamic
conditions. These compression tests and DS tests were partially performed to investigate the potential
for the batting cage baseballs to contribute to the denting of bats. Both the quasi-static and dynamic
tests indicate that the batting cage baseballs are substantially softer than regulations collegiate
baseballs. Hence, the baseballs should have less ability to dent bats compared with standard
regulation bats.
"

The last word is a missprint (damn authors) based upon their other conclusions and should read baseballs...

So who knows...softballs have lower compression than baseballs so maybe for softballs mp balls are worse.
Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! Way to come through for the team @pattar !!!

Oct 4, 2018
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

I'm sure 99% of you already know this, but when feeding the machine you do this:

Hold a ball in each hand. With one ball/hand, hold the ball in position on the machine so when you let go the ball is pitched. Do a windmill motion with the ball in your other hand. You never let go of this ball.

Girls really appreciate the ability to work on timing, and it's very simple to do a windmill with a ball in your hand if you don't have to drop that ball into the machine.

Jun 8, 2016
The other thing is weight. Perhaps initially mp balls weigh the same but due to the material used they may absorb moisture from the air more rapidly than regular balls? Again, just a guess.

Dec 11, 2010
Now we are getting somewhere! I think @pattar was holding out on us!

And I’m glad he is sending @Lemond the bill. I’m tapped out from buying machines and balls and ADV’s!

Dec 11, 2010
@uncdrew, I’m making a list of suggestions for Sports Attack specific to their softball machines. I’m going to have to work on the wording but I’ll add “rip off Jugs feed cup design so I can windmill the feed“ just made my list.:giggle:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802