Do you ever wonder how organizations choose their HC's?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
When the HS season ends I make it a point to attend the local area TB tournaments to track incoming Freshmen and check progress on players already in the program. Along the way you see teams that range from pretty good to decent to OK to....well lets say they need plenty of help even at HS age.

Today was such a day to observe teams, I saw curious strategies such as unsuccessful attempts to steal bases down by 12 runs in the 6th inning. Mostly horrid defensive fundamentals resulting in errors. Not adjusting to hitters strengths/tendencies. The infield and outfield plays the exact same locations for lefties and righties, power hitters and slappers. Bases are left uncovered, almost all relay throws go to the pitcher instead of the base, One team had a lead off hitter who when on base successfully stole on the first pitch every time. Does no one use a pitchout? Hitters standing so far away from the plate they could not hit an pitch on the outer 1/3 of the plate.

So I sat there wondering how the heck the HC's of these various teams get these positions? Yes I know it can be a thankless job. I have been there, with work schedules, family commitments, playing into it. Lord knows I learned alot in my early years of coaching (Rec ball) but these were 16U teams I was watching. Should there not be some sort of softball IQ needed to avoid such atrocious game strategies...and player development (or lack thereof)?

Mar 28, 2014
When the HS season ends I make it a point to attend the local area TB tournaments to track incoming Freshmen and check progress on players already in the program. Along the way you see teams that range from pretty good to decent to OK to....well lets say they need plenty of help even at HS age.

Today was such a day to observe teams, I saw curious strategies such as unsuccessful attempts to steal bases down by 12 runs in the 6th inning. Mostly horrid defensive fundamentals resulting in errors. Not adjusting to hitters strengths/tendencies. The infield and outfield plays the exact same locations for lefties and righties, power hitters and slappers. Bases are left uncovered, almost all relay throws go to the pitcher instead of the base, One team had a lead off hitter who when on base successfully stole on the first pitch every time. Does no one use a pitchout? Hitters standing so far away from the plate they could not hit an pitch on the outer 1/3 of the plate.

So I sat there wondering how the heck the HC's of these various teams get these positions? Yes I know it can be a thankless job. I have been there, with work schedules, family commitments, playing into it. Lord knows I learned alot in my early years of coaching (Rec ball) but these were 16U teams I was watching. Should there not be some sort of softball IQ needed to avoid such atrocious game strategies...and player development (or lack thereof)?
These young girls they hire just don't have the strategy knowledge base that you would expect. Just because you could hit a 65 mph fastball in college doesn't mean you know in-game strategy. I have seen some atrocious in-game decisions this year. Bunting a runner from 1st to 2nd down by 4 in the last inning? Had 6 runners thrown out at home when we were in Colorado. At least 5 balls blooped over the infield in one game and none hit to the fence yet they continue to play the outfield against the fence. Some really bad in-game coaching.

Feb 3, 2016
Pretty sure this player is wearing a hat belonging to a prospective coach.
365b26a5500b1f90b739b92869213902.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just like in high school coaches vary.

99.99999% sure that if you went around your area during hs you would say the same things about hs coaches. And college coaches for that matter.

A lot of travel coaches get the role because they are willing to do it
.. especially for the mid-lower level teams and orgs. Again - not all that different to how a lot of hs teams end up with a coach in high school.

In our area the best travel coaches are far superior to the best hs coaches. Not even close. The best hs coaches are also travel coaches.

Every weekend I see great coaching and terrible coaching. But the good thing is I see lots of girls playing. I can live with that.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I was on the board of a very large softball organization. It is not like we had 50 applicants for every team.

So, consider just the summer season:

How many people do you know who leave work early 3 days a week and give up 4 evenings a week and every weekend from May 15 to August 1?

My org was in a burb in Chicagoland. Most people got home at 6:30 every day and traveled out of town for 4 or 5 days each month. They could get the kid to practice and games by switching off with the spouse or another patent.

We never had more coaches than teams.

What the board does not want is complaining parents. If a guy/gal is affable and does not cause problems, s/he got the job.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Do I ever wonder how TB organizations select their Head Coaches? I could write a book. At least a part of that book would be how some organizations pee on long time loyal coaches and by pass them. Then again, my book would be as accurate as the local weather forecaster so I just need to be quiet.

Apr 16, 2013
Do I ever wonder how TB organizations select their Head Coaches? I could write a book. At least a part of that book would be how some organizations pee on long time loyal coaches and by pass them. Then again, my book would be as accurate as the local weather forecaster so I just need to be quiet.
We all know you just need to shush! :p (Said as sarcastically as I can through a keyboard.)

May 29, 2015
I was on the board of a very large softball organization. It is not like we had 50 applicants for every team.

So, consider just the summer season:

How many people do you know who leave work early 3 days a week and give up 4 evenings a week and every weekend from May 15 to August 1?

My org was in a burb in Chicagoland. Most people got home at 6:30 every day and traveled out of town for 4 or 5 days each month. They could get the kid to practice and games by switching off with the spouse or another patent.

We never had more coaches than teams.

What the board does not want is complaining parents. If a guy/gal is affable and does not cause problems, s/he got the job.

Speaking from rec experience, it was this. Typically the people we could find to coach weren’t the ones we wanted coaching. The ones we wanted were smart enough not to do it. [Looks in the mirror, lowers head.]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13