How bad can one look in the deck circle?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Why is it that I am seeing so many players who look so terrible in the on-deck circle? Many very good hitters simply look like they have never swung a bat or seen a hitting coach, judging by some of the ridiculousness I see in the on deck circle. It seems rampant in travel ball at all levels.

I blame the Hanson PENCE-iple!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHWXFe2RHNU

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I was an outfielder, I watched the on-deck batter and looked for clues as to where she would hit. So, if you aren't showing me anything, I don't know anything and you are distracting me.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Out in left field says:
It is not a real swing
PenceAB.gif

Pence_reach.gif

2013-07-08_Hunter_Pence_falls_down_swinging.gif

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It is not a real swing and who knows what goes on in the hitter's mind in getting ready for an at bat. While I hate girls who hit their backs with the bat, etc., I don't think it comes from "not realizing" how to hit or not realizing what they are doing. Today's athletes are not dumb jocks. Pence just looks awkward when not hitting; who cares. Some dancers trip over their feet when walking to the stage then perform brilliantly.

I think we should bury the Hanson principle. The sole justification (or end use) for that so-called principle--one for which there is no definition except from crazed baseball hitting junkies-- seems to be to bring down real athletes who want to talk or teach so the armchair hitter thinks he or she has a "shot at the show." But the armchair hitter has no shot at the show. All they can hope for is to watch the videos of those actually in the show (who may in fact be decades younger than themselves), feel old, and perhaps go hit a slowpitch softball then huff and puff around the bases.

Simply amazing. Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the difference between style preference and mechanical absolutes. You are on the right track if your mission is for softball to revert and never evolve from the days when you played.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think we should bury the Hanson principle. The sole justification (or end use) for that so-called principle--one for which there is no definition except from crazed baseball hitting junkies-- seems to be to bring down real athletes who want to talk or teach so the armchair hitter thinks he or she has a "shot at the show." But the armchair hitter has no shot at the show. All they can hope for is to watch the videos of those actually in the show (who may in fact be decades younger than themselves), feel old, and perhaps go hit a slowpitch softball then huff and puff around the bases.

When what you know and what you teach doesn’t match up with how the best players in this game swing a bat, then you have a choice to either learn or to whine about the Hanson Principle.

You seems to prefer the later.

Good luck with that.

The Hanson Principle isn't going away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01