D1 Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2021
With one last daughter in the house we watch about every softball game on TV we can. SEC Network, Big Ten Network, ESPN, etc. One thing i've been noticing are teams like Georgia, Florida State, Alabama, and a few other SEC teams have ladies swinging 3-5 year old bats. I'm seeing a lot of 3-4 year old Xeno's, a few older LTX's, and with Alabama, several of the original Ghosts. So, how and the heck are they either A) Getting their hands on these "new" bats from that long ago (because we all know these bats last a year, maybe two at most or B) who are their "bat doctors" who are refurbishing these things that are allowing them to continue passing the compression test, the shake test, and the rattle test when they are getting stickered/approved for each series? I'm guessing that the schools can order several dozen bats to get them through several years, but many of these look like they've been being used for a year or two already.

Also, I have not seen a Louisville Slugger school (Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, etc.) swing a single Meta yet. We've got three of them in our house between my two daughters (one in HS and one in College), which we've already sent one back because of a rattle, and the second is going back because of a huge wobble after just about 6 months. My girls love them, and I've swung them in a cage and i do think they are heads and tails better than a Xeno which is still love.

Jun 8, 2016
With one last daughter in the house we watch about every softball game on TV we can. SEC Network, Big Ten Network, ESPN, etc. One thing i've been noticing are teams like Georgia, Florida State, Alabama, and a few other SEC teams have ladies swinging 3-5 year old bats. I'm seeing a lot of 3-4 year old Xeno's, a few older LTX's, and with Alabama, several of the original Ghosts. So, how and the heck are they either A) Getting their hands on these "new" bats from that long ago (because we all know these bats last a year, maybe two at most or B) who are their "bat doctors" who are refurbishing these things that are allowing them to continue passing the compression test, the shake test, and the rattle test when they are getting stickered/approved for each series? I'm guessing that the schools can order several dozen bats to get them through several years, but many of these look like they've been being used for a year or two already.

Also, I have not seen a Louisville Slugger school (Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, etc.) swing a single Meta yet. We've got three of them in our house between my two daughters (one in HS and one in College), which we've already sent one back because of a rattle, and the second is going back because of a huge wobble already. My girls love them, and I've swung them in a cage and i do think they are heads and tails better than a Xeno which is still love.
They may be able to get more access to the older bats (since they have a contract with them) but a lot of bats break due to off-design contact..something which D1 players do less than Suzy SoSo who plays on Bearcubs National Premier Elite Platinum 12U.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
They may be able to get more access to the older bats (since they have a contract with them) but a lot of bats break due to off-design contact..something which D1 players do less than Suzy SoSo who plays on Bearcubs National Premier Elite Platinum 12U.
I don’t understand how all those bats can break unless the batter is missing the sweet spot or they are playing in cold weather. DD had a ghost for a year and another girl has used it for another year. still going strong. we did break it in with about 200 swings off the tee.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t understand how all those bats can break unless the batter is missing the sweet spot or they are playing in cold weather. DD had a ghost for a year and another girl has used it for another year. still going strong. we did break it in with about 200 swings off the tee.
Right. Off-design=hitting it away from the sweet spot too often. Cold weather would have less of an effect imo..the temps they give are conservative. Too many hits with cold balls though..that could be a problem.

May 21, 2018
Right. Off-design=hitting it away from the sweet spot too often. Cold weather would have less of an effect imo..the temps they give are conservative. Too many hits with cold balls though..that could be a problem.
Saturday's game time temp. is looking to be around 35 degrees. DD has a slightly cracked 2020 LXT (which she loves) and a brand new Ghost in the bag. Not sure how to handle this. The Ghost is staying in the bag for sure, but thinking about sending the 2016 Stealth. She hates it, but that puppy isn't breaking.

Jun 8, 2016
Saturday's game time temp. is looking to be around 35 degrees. DD has a slightly cracked 2020 LXT (which she loves) and a brand new Ghost in the bag. Not sure how to handle this. The Ghost is staying in the bag for sure, but thinking about sending the 2016 Stealth. She hates it, but that puppy isn't breaking.
Marcela has used her Xeno in those temps (and will again this Sat morning) with no issues 🤷🏽‍♂️

Jun 8, 2016
Of course all we have are 3 32 drop 10 Xenos so she doesn’t have much of a choice 😂

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
To answer your question about how they have access to bats that are several years old, I can give you some insight. We had a local D1 commit who loved her DeMarini CF5 so much that her father went out and bought five of them in case they broke. At the time, bats were retailing for $250-$285, but Dick's had a 25% off coupon that saved him big bucks. She had a total of six CF5s in her garage. The best part is the original one never broke. Sadly, she never used it in college because a tragic car accident took her life at 18.

I also suspect many of these girls never use these older bats for anything but games.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Rambling and various comments:

So, how and the heck are they either A) Getting their hands on these "new" bats from that long ago (because we all know these bats last a year, maybe two at most
They aren’t. It is possible that some schools bought a lot of bats and have “left overs” from year to year. The schools you listed probably all have decent softball budgets due to football and possibly mens basketball. I’m sure some have bigger budgets than others. Easton doesn’t have a secret cave full of grey Ghosts waiting for Murph to call about. They want young players seeing their college hitters hitting homers with 2022 bats because… they sell 2022 bats in 2022.

College players seem to break less bats. We have speculated about why that is here many times.
B) who are their "bat doctors"
Nope, lol. And a second lol for good measure. They probably have an equipment guy. A bat doctor he is not.

Okay… so DD’s school probably has a fairly large softball budget. During Covid, they had trouble getting equipment. Just like everyone else. Didn’t seem like they had any special connections to get bats. They are a Louisville school. They kind of burned through whatever leftover stock they had…. DD currently has a new LXT game bat and a Xeno as a practice bat. They were not apologetic when they handed her the Xeno and told her they didn’t have any LXT practice bats.

In two years, she swings whatever they hand her. As far as the Meta’s- They had the Meta’s available to try and I don’t think anyone picked them, I also know a lot of players weren’t interested in trying them.

The idea of a player bringing a bat from home to swing at school…. in games…….Not sure that would fly at some places. And it’s really, really unnecessary. People, the weight room is so much more important than what bat they are swinging.

I think most players have bat preferences. When it gets right down to it though, I think college players have more important things to worry about.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Rambling and various comments:

They aren’t. It is possible that some schools bought a lot of bats and have “left overs” from year to year. The schools you listed probably all have decent softball budgets due to football and possibly mens basketball. I’m sure some have bigger budgets than others. Easton doesn’t have a secret cave full of grey Ghosts waiting for Murph to call about. They want young players seeing their college hitters hitting homers with 2022 bats because… they sell 2022 bats in 2022.

College players seem to break less bats. We have speculated about why that is here many times.

Nope, lol. And a second lol for good measure. They probably have an equipment guy. A bat doctor he is not.

Okay… so DD’s school probably has a fairly large softball budget. During Covid, they had trouble getting equipment. Just like everyone else. Didn’t seem like they had any special connections to get bats. They are a Louisville school. They kind of burned through whatever leftover stock they had…. DD currently has a new LXT game bat and a Xeno as a practice bat. They were not apologetic when they handed her the Xeno and told her they didn’t have any LXT practice bats.

In two years, she swings whatever they hand her. As far as the Meta’s- They had the Meta’s available to try and I don’t think anyone picked them, I also know a lot of players weren’t interested in trying them.

The idea of a player bringing a bat from home to swing at school…. in games…….Not sure that would fly at some places. And it’s really, really unnecessary. People, the weight room is so much more important than what bat they are swinging.

I think most players have bat preferences. When it gets right down to it though, I think college players have more important things to worry about.
Great post! I only wish that my DD's school had a softball budget. Well, to be fair a "larger" budget. No televised games so there's no issue swinging bats from home. In this case purchased from Core, and currently includes a couple Mizunos.
;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12