On deck bat weight use in Softball vs Baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016
As a long time baseball guy (player and coach) EVERYONE seemed to use some sort of weight or hammer or something in the on deck circle to warm up with. I know i used all kinds of different weights and things to make my bat feel as light as possible going up to hit.

But, as I've now coached for past 10+ years in softball, very very few teams/hitters use any type of weight in the circle. I've seen a few but just always wondered why the big difference in methodology.

I know fastpitch bats are much lighter, but still one of the main goals is to have the fastest bat speed generated when swinging. So, why not use the same method in the on deck circle?

Oct 4, 2018
I've always wondered how long that "effect" is good for. After 3-4 pitches, I would think the effect created by swinging on deck with a heavier bat is gone.

Apr 16, 2013
I have no idea where I heard it or saw it, but I remember "something" showing that using this technique (added weight swinging while on deck) actually slowed your bat speed down once up to the plate. As someone that's done a lot with working out/weight lifting, I do kinda understand that as you're burning up your ATP which takes a while to refresh. No idea beyond that; but I have never seen an on deck batter using a weight to practice swing with, in all the softball tournaments I've been to.

With everything I've learned from the mental side of sports (racing), I'd honestly say that on deck "visualizing" of the pitch and the hit would have a larger effect on success.

May 29, 2019
When DD first started playing travel at 10U, we were told at one of the tournaments that they were not allowed to use "doughnut" weights in the on-deck circle due to liability reasons. They felt that the weight would fly off and hit someone when you swung, even though that is physically impossible. I don't remember what sanctioning body that was.

Mar 6, 2016
Angels-On-Deck-Square.jpg

I mean look at all this !! Gotta be something to it..... we've all done the same all these years in baseball.

Mar 6, 2016
Maybe it’s because the bats are light enough to begin with in softball?

Yes, but it would still be relative to the overall strength of females vs males when comparing bat weights wouldn't it? So, strength/weight ratio would be very similar, yes?

Just wondered about it all these years, why it's accepted or done in baseball, but not softball even though the swing itself is quite similar and the goal of bat speed while creating more mass movement at impact.

May 23, 2015
Donuts do not speed up your bat when used in the on deck circle they actually slow your bat down. It's a good way to loosen up and shake off the jitters. Thats it.

Overload and under load training will increase bat speed and strength outside of a game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802