Houston Astros and the limits of sign stealing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DD was a sign stealing machine from 10u on. I don’t know where she got it, she didn’t get it from me.

When she plays 3rd she always peeks at the 3rd base coach. She says they really look irritated when they catch her looking at them. I personally don’t get that. I think she is actually looking for tells. I’m surprised how well she predicts bunts even with wristbands.

There was a kid at 14U doing that to me. I asked her to stop. she snickered at me. So, I changed the indicator, gave a blunt sign with the old indicator and the mandatory swing with the new indicator. She got the bejesus scared out of her.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
so... the overwhelming stance on the issue here is:
a little rudimentary (analog) cheating is ok, but sophisticated (digital) cheating is not?

Jun 8, 2016
a little rudimentary (analog) cheating is ok, but sophisticated (digital) cheating is not?
If the only device used to steal signs is the one attached to your neck then you are good ;)
Our manager in college used to have the bench players try and pick the third base coach's signs. I wasn't very
good about it probably because I was pissed that I was on the bench :LOL: (hey TB coaches make sure star players
sit once in a while....)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How is stealing signs cheating if done by the coaching staff and players who are involved in the game? (No use of tech?)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2015
Stealing signs during the game without external help is part of the game. Teams use signs to hide something from the opposition. If the opposition figures out the signs, so be it. Neither team has an advantage in gathering and forwarding this info. I think the Astros use of people/cameras in the stands and the electronic (and trash can) methods of delivering info actually entered into messing with the integrity of the game.

Dec 11, 2010
@sluggers, yeah mine wouldn’t front you out about it for sure. I’ll add that if she shares it with other players, I’m unaware. Definitely not an “I’m so smart” deal.

You really don’t think players should do this? I’m not being snarky, I’m curious why. This doesn’t perk up my “unethical” radar at all. Seems like part of the bigger game. Am I wrong about that?

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not only did I steal signs, I expected the opposition to try to steal mine. So, we practiced changing signs both on offense and defense. We had key ways of changing on the fly. For example, when sending signs in, most often we were faking and the catcher was calling. However, we had a phrase, "If I'm kneeling, I'm dealing." I would do this if I thought that the coaching staff or 1st base coach was getting signs. The pitcher and catcher looked at me and I called. The catcher then gave fake signs. When the catcher was calling pitches, if he/she tapped his/her head, that meant that I was to call the pitch and would call the pitch until I tapped my head. I could go on and on about our changes and again, we actually practiced this stuff.

Dec 11, 2010
What about a hall of fame college coach that didn’t change her signs for a quarter century? If everyone in the ballpark knows her signs, are they supposed to look away and pretend they don’t to “preserve the integrity“ of the game?

This discussion is kind of goofy.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Funny story. Last January, DD (2nd yr 10U at the time) changed teams. The 1st time we faced her old team in a tournament, DD who was new to playing 3rd base, would turn and look at 3rd base/HC every pitch to see his signs to the batter. Our coach had to tell her to stop being so obvious. She was staring straight at him. She learned, but it was kind of funny when she came off the field and said, "he hasn't changed his signs".

May 29, 2015

What you describe as analog is not illegal. What you describe as digital is illegal.

"OK" is a different conversation that I will let you get back to..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles