10U Coach Giving Take Sign on 3-0 Count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Agreed.. just not (in general) in 10U rec ball šŸ˜‰
Iā€™m with you on that. Something I try to instill in my players is the idea that the first strike of your at bat belongs to the team. We may ask you to bunt, take, hit and run, hit behind the hitter, etc. We mostly do this until we get a strike on us. After that you have to battle and try to find a way on base.

Nothing drives me crazier than a runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs and the hitter takes the first pitch because they thought it was low. Thatā€™s failure to acknowledge the situation. We want something low we can hit on the ground in that situation.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
ego coach v. ego parent, eh. let the kid decide for herself what she is going to do and then have a (very) short conversation with her as soon as possible about what she was thinking. 10U is all about teaching, learning, trying, failing, succeeeding, and everything else needed for future reference.

Apr 14, 2022
Assuming 60-65% strikes which is about the norm for good control in my experience, the odds of the pitcher throwing 3 strikes in a row is about 22-28%. Your odds of drawing a walk is better than your odds of getting a hit if you just took all 3 pitches. Now, I am not advocating for that, but if you are playing the numbers and trying to win itā€™s a solid strategy. If there is no runner in scoring position then a base runner is more important. The odds of getting 3 hits in a row arenā€™t great either.

Point being, there is more strategy involved and more situations to have a blanket rule to either take 3-0 every time or let them swing every time.

I do not think you can look at it like that, Walking and green light are not exclusive. Meaning if the hitter has the green light and are disciplined they can still walk.
Assuming not chasing balls on 3-0 65% strikes. The batter will still walk 35% of the time, I think mlb hit 3-0 over 400 with a slug over 800.

The value of swinging 3-0 is extra base hits.

Oct 26, 2019
I do not think you can look at it like that, Walking and green light are not exclusive. Meaning if the hitter has the green light and are disciplined they can still walk.
Assuming not chasing balls on 3-0 65% strikes. The batter will still walk 35% of the time, I think mlb hit 3-0 over 400 with a slug over 800.

The value of swinging 3-0 is extra base hits.
Good points, which is why I said it is so situation dependent. If there is nobody in scoring position to drive in, then we almost always take 3-0. Now if there are two outs and a runner in scoring position, and I like my hitter up more than I like my on deck, then for sure, we are swinging away.

If the pitcher is struggling, and we chase something 3-0 that can be a huge confidence boost to the pitcher. It can let a struggling pitcher ā€œoff the hookā€œ.

Iā€™m not advocating for one way or the other, just providing examples of when, and when not, it might be a good idea.

Jun 8, 2016
Do coaches give 3-0 take signs in 12u 14u 16u college softball.
Yesā€¦whatā€™s your point? I realize you think 10U softball is the bees knees but priorities change as the kids age. When I coached 8u baseball I rotated the lineup and made sure every kid got a chance to play every position.

May 13, 2021
Yesā€¦whatā€™s your point? I realize you think 10U softball is the bees knees but priorities change as the kids age.
What priorities and at what age do they change. I would guess the same people that advocate for teaching young kids incorrect strategy would also have them bunt on an 0-2 count.

Jun 8, 2016
What priorities and at what age do they change. I would guess the same people that advocate for teaching young kids incorrect strategy would also have them bunt on an 0-2 count.
Winning isnā€™t as important..You guys act like learning ā€œstrategyā€ is astrophysics. Knowing why your coach is giving you the take sign on the 3-0 can wait till winning is really important..eg 12u šŸ™„.

Also if you want to have a ā€œstrategyā€ discussion I am game. Otherwise keep your passive aggressive crap to yourself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00