Sign Stealing and Cheating

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2022
Hi everyone, I'm doing research for a children's book, so please forgive my novice questions.
If sign stealing between a catcher and pitcher can be done organically, then why is it considered cheating? Or is it considered cheating? I know the Houston Astros were penalized heavily for this and fined.

What happens to a teammate if she is caught giving the teams signs to a player on another team?

Thank you so much,
Thomas Lockhaven

May 1, 2018
Sign Stealing by using your brain...... not really frowned upon. Sign stealing using a computer program....is cheating.

Apr 26, 2022
Thank you. I figured organic sign stealing is fine. I'm trying to figure out if a player from one team steals their entire set of signs and gives them to the other team, what would happen to that player?

Jun 20, 2015
Astros were using technology, relaying from bull pen to dug out and loud noises to signal batter.

That's entirely different than watching with own eyes from dugout, picking signs and exploiting.

Jun 20, 2015
Hi everyone, I'm doing research for a children's book, so please forgive my novice questions.
If sign stealing between a catcher and pitcher can be done organically, then why is it considered cheating? Or is it considered cheating? I know the Houston Astros were penalized heavily for this and fined.

What happens to a teammate if she is caught giving the teams signs to a player on another team?

Thank you so much,
Thomas Lockhaven

So you're asking if a player steals (or is given) the little wrist band card for a team, and receiver girl uses it? if that is considered cheating???

yes, is my opinion, but really doesn't take very long to figure out that the signs are decoded and to switch.

Sep 17, 2009
Thank you. I figured organic sign stealing is fine. I'm trying to figure out if a player from one team steals their entire set of signs and gives them to the other team, what would happen to that player?
That's kind of a unique scenario. I assume they'd be asked to leave if they were undermining their own team (if that's the question, it's a little hard to tell exactly what you are asking).

A long time ago on a 10U relatively low-level travel team I coached a pitcher who we found out afterward was unwilling to strike out her friends on another team (she was a very good pitcher, almost unhittable at that level). We let it slide but not entirely surprisingly she stopped playing a few years later.

Apr 26, 2022
So you're asking if a player steals (or is given) the little wrist band card for a team, and receiver girl uses it? if that is considered cheating???

yes, is my opinion, but really doesn't take very long to figure out that the signs are decoded and to switch.
Yes, I was wondering if giving the band or the signs to another team was considered cheating. What about in advanced tournaments where the girls are playing at a higher level? Is there disciplinary actions taken against the player? I apologize for all of the questions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478