10U Coach Giving Take Sign on 3-0 Count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2023
A coach recently playing 10U Softball in a 10U traveling city league gave the player a take sign on a 3-0 count while leading in the 4th inning by a score of 6 to 0. Is this the correct way to teach softball? As a parent how should you approach the coach?

May 27, 2022
Not sure I see anything explicitly wrong with it. Coaches and batters at all levels do this and it is the default response for any traditional coach - especially with in-experienced hitters.

- Not sure that the score you noted matters.
- Maybe this coach is just doing what teams they were on did as they grew up
- Does this player struggle with discerning strikes versus balls?

Curious as to your expectations with approaching the coach? Does this player need every chance to be able to hit? Was the next pitch the 'only' great pitch they saw and missed an opportunity to get a hit? Did they strike out after the take?

Honestly, from what you posted, I would just let it go. IF softball is in their future, there are a lot more opportunities/situations/challenges coming.

Jun 8, 2016
Not sure I see anything explicitly wrong with it. Coaches and batters at all levels do this and it is the default response for any traditional coach - especially with in-experienced hitters.
I don't disagree but in general at the younger ages I like to let kids swing the bat (eg not a big fan of bunting,etc). Hitting a round ball with a round bat is the hardest thing to do in sports..might as well let them get after it a bit when they are young. Also it gives them an opportunity to learn about getting their pitch in a count like that (which also applies to 2-0,3-1,etc). I see a lot of 14U kids who swing at garbage when they are up in the count.

That said, yes just leave it. No point in burning bridges over something like that.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The 3-0 count is itself an interesting situation. At the 10U level I think taking the pitch is OK. At the older levels once you start telling hitters to 'swing at your pitch' or 'it's gotta be perfect' you introduce an element of conscious decision making into the mix. It's common to see hitters swing at ball four because they have made the swing decision consciously, taking the choice away from the brain/physical realm where it is normally made.

Jun 8, 2016
The 3-0 count is itself an interesting situation. At the 10U level I think taking the pitch is OK. At the older levels once you start telling hitters to 'swing at your pitch' or 'it's gotta be perfect' you introduce an element of conscious decision making into the mix. It's common to see hitters swing at ball four because they have made the swing decision consciously, taking the choice away from the brain/physical realm where it is normally made.
That “ consciousness” is there on 2-0 and 3-1 as well..should we give take signs there as well?

At the older ages I am giving the take in most situations. At the younger ages you are trying to get all the kids to be in the situation where I wouldn’t be afraid to let them hit away when they are older..

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I like taking 3-0. Want hitter to work on timing up the pitcher. So batter shouldn't become a statue but should load, stride and semi check their swing.
When given the green light 3-0 hitters often overswing at bad pitches. Game score 6 to 0, I might give green light but if she swings at a high pitch and hit an infield pop up I would give her the green light next time.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
What is the situation with this hitter? What if this hitter is the number 9 hitter and hasn't been on base her last 20 PA's. Maybe the coach wants her to have a chance to get on base? What if the pitcher hasn't pitched a strike in the last 8 pitches?

What is "Traveling City League" anyway?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles