Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
If a 100lb person and a 400lb person swings the same bat at the same speed physics doesn't care how big the person swinging is. Its just a fact
This is true, but if I was pitching and the guy hit a slow roller for which I would have to cover 1B (in baseball) I certainly know who I would rather have running to 1st.. :oops:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Curious what everyone thinks of these two swings. These are the first clips I have of Lewis for the Mariners. First one was middle/in pulled for a HR and the second was outside hit over the RC gap fence.

Do you like how he makes contact out front? Is this what throwing the barrel looks like?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
I would say that they are both effective.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If a 100lb person and a 400lb person swings the same bat at the same speed physics doesn't care how big the person swinging is. Its just a fact
Do you think hand strength and weight plays a role in this. Think if a grown man swung a 30" drop 10 bat at 50 mph at pitched basketball it would go farther than a 11 year old girl doing the same. Bigger stronger players have less power loss at the collision. Plus their arms weigh more so they create more momentum and less deflection at contact.

May 23, 2015
Do you think hand strength and weight plays a role in this. Think if a grown man swung a 30" drop 10 bat at 50 mph at pitched basketball it would go farther than a 11 year old girl doing the same. Bigger stronger players have less power loss at the collision. Plus their arms weigh more so they create more momentum and less deflection at contact.
I've never hit a basketball and can't imagine why you would. It might be hard to test, so i always lean towards the rules of physics. Ill go with no. I did hit a watermelon once, but ut wasn't a fair fight

After I played baseball I had the pleasure to play for Ray Demarini. He was a fanatic about data and we tested monthly. Mostly exit velocities and velocity retention. I swing and teach to have a super loose grip on the bat others didn't. I did not see any major differences between all the players. Everything was consistent with performance on the field

I regularly hit no handed home runs when I'm teaching

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I think you’re on to something.

May 23, 2015
I think you’re on to something.
Yes hit basketballs for excitement

A bat is in contact with a ball for 1/1000 of a second. A millisecond. Deflection, rebound, drive through the ball means nothing. I laugh when I see kids hitting boxing heavy bags and heavy balls to "teach" driving through

Its all linear momentum. The theory has been around for 700 years and challenged thousands of times. The bat transfers its energy to the ball

What if a 400lb man and a 40lb child bunt the ball? Bat is at 0 mph and static. Same results. Also put a tennis ball on a basketball and drop them.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes hit basketballs for excitement

A bat is in contact with a ball for 1/1000 of a second. A millisecond. Deflection, rebound, drive through the ball means nothing. I laugh when I see kids hitting boxing heavy bags and heavy balls to "teach" driving through

Its all linear momentum. The theory has been around for 700 years and challenged thousands of times. The bat transfers its energy to the ball

What if a 400lb man and a 40lb child bunt the ball? Bat is at 0 mph and static. Same results. Also put a tennis ball on a basketball and drop them.
I agree with all of this except if by rebound you mean the trampoline effect which is a real thing..

May 23, 2015
I agree with all of this except if by rebound you mean the trampoline effect which is a real thing..
Trampoline effect is very real. Its when the ball and ball meet. The energy gets loaded and releases just like preloading a trampoline with 2 people on it.

The deflection of the bat bouncing backwards is nothing because the balls already gone and the bats already transferred its energy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877