Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
Nice analysis all. The players in this thread so far are:

6'4" 210 lb
6'4" 235 lb
6'3" 240 lb
6'2" 235 lb
6'2" 195 lb
5'11" 185 lb

Problem for me is how many young ones do you have that are anywhere near the size needed to pull an outside pitch with any kind of authority?

Women is softball do it routinely. Altuve is 5ft6 on a good day.. He hits bombs and he's smaller than most women. Not sure what your line of thought is on this. Its all about a ball hitting a bat. Velocity, mass, distance

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Women is softball do it routinely. Altuve is 5ft6 on a good day.. He hits bombs and he's smaller than most women. Not sure what your line of thought is on this. Its all about a ball hitting a bat. Velocity, mass, distance
He's not of the stature that allows him to pull outside pitches effectively but he does wear out the right side with that pitch ;)

May 23, 2015
why would DJ have an ‘oppo’ approach? To ‘retard’ timing? I think of it more as to ‘control’ his timing of his barrel ‘swing’. Thoughts? Nothing retarded about 3,000 hits.

Retarded is not derogatory. I don't talk like that. Retard means delay and action. He retards his timing to let the ball travel and hits it deep. That's his game always has been. It got him to the Hall

Apr 11, 2015
Curious what everyone thinks of these two swings. These are the first clips I have of Lewis for the Mariners. First one was middle/in pulled for a HR and the second was outside hit over the RC gap fence.
He's not "out front" in either, the bold is why he had to hit them where he did. As W=w said, "That’s text book imo", and he is correct.

May 12, 2016
incorrect.

Stature is not an issue with pulling an outside pitch when your front foot lands where Altuve's does in this AB. Looks like it's one those pitches where Altuve knew what was coming :). I know Altuve lands closed anyway.. but in this case it was excessive.

It's true, you can pull an outside pitch, happens all the time. Generally speaking the best hitters will hit that pitch UTM or the other way. But even with the best hitters timing is off sometimes and they get an outside pitch off the end of the bat.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi