Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
When comparing softball vs baseball you have to keep in mind the differences in balls and bats. A softball is significantly heavier than a baseball and softball (fastpitch) bats are a lot lighter. I have seen baseballs hit close to the end of the bat carry over the fence, in softball that ain't going to happen.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Huh? Ball was almost touching the outside line of the strike zone. Freeze it at :04 to see.

Doesn't get much more outside than that! lol......
Just like the videos in post #1 angles can be very deceptive. Have found it easier to focus on the pocket of the catcher's mitt.

This is Altuve's full at bat with replays at 04:00; 04:35 and 07:16. Did he hit a high-outside pitch or a hanging slider nearly waist-high and and nearly down the middle?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder fans. :) :(

Sep 17, 2009
Looks like it's one those pitches where Altuve knew what was coming...

Always wanted to do this lol

tenor.gif

Mar 28, 2014
Just like the videos in post #1 angles can be very deceptive. Have found it easier to focus on the pocket of the catcher's mitt.

This is Altuve's full at bat with replays at 04:00; 04:35 and 07:16. Did he hit a high-outside pitch or a hanging slider nearly waist-high and and nearly down the middle?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder fans. :) :(

my goodness man, the pitch was outside. Freeze it at 4:02 and the ball is actually outside of the strike zone when he hits it. The electronic strike zone box is automatically adjusted for the camera angle so there are no angles, mitt position, etc.....involved in the viewing equation here. Fact is he parked an outside pitch and you said he couldn't do it. He's a phenomenal hitter.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Women is softball do it routinely. Altuve is 5ft6 on a good day.. He hits bombs and he's smaller than most women. Not sure what your line of thought is on this. Its all about a ball hitting a bat. Velocity, mass, distance

I suspect mass isn’t just the bat though and that the player wielding it also figures into the equation, one being an extension of the other.

May 23, 2015
I suspect mass isn’t just the bat though and that the player wielding it also figures into the equation, one being an extension of the other.
No the mass of the batter doesn't matter. Bat swings, ball hits bat, and ball goes flying. Its just a collision

May 12, 2016
If a 100lb person and a 400lb person swings the same bat at the same speed physics doesn't care how big the person swinging is. Its just a fact
Agreed.. thanks for the extra context. Of course it does matter how the bat is swung as well.. it's not just about bat speed and barrel making collision with the ball.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi